• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random/lesser known expenses that can be put through your limited...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    That made me think - if I have a software company and I buy some pizza for my coders staying late, surely I should be able to claim that?

The reason I am asking is as I subcontract more and more of my work, I really starts to look more like a software house rather than a one-man Ltd, which Ithink is great, but generally I should be able to claim more somehow, right?
    It's claimable.

Whether it needs to be declared as a BIK for the employees, is a different matter. So your "generosity" could help increase their tax burden.

Some years back, a large software company that I know, gave a long-term reward of an expensive pen every five years. In some countries, the local office paid the taxable benefit for the employee so it was a real gift. In others, they didn't - the Swedish lot weren't too impressed that a "gift" from the company, that they didn't really want, cost them money.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      The pizza is an investment to get them to work harder not an expense .
      No - it's a rapidly depreciating asset.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Can we have a slight reality check here...

You can expense anything you like. The actual question you should be asking is nothing to do with YourCo but with your personal taxation: "Does this expense claim give rise to a BIK?". Which it will if the expense is not wholly and exclusively for the needs of the business. Plus, of course, you do actually have to spend the money in the first palce.

As for what's the worst that can happen, I think the term for tax evasion still starts at repaying the tax, interest and penalties plus a big fine and/or two years. Still want that tiger?
        The wholly and exclusively test can be a bit misleading though, it's about significant use for many items, see the examples here for instances where a BIK claim isn't raised despite there being substantially more private use than business.

It's no wonder so many accountants and tax lawyers are kept in gainful employment!

Comment

Originally posted by chana7 View Post
          Ok ok! Wrong forum, I get it! Jeeeeeezzzzzz
          Not any more.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            It's claimable.

Whether it needs to be declared as a BIK for the employees, is a different matter. So your "generosity" could help increase their tax burden.

Some years back, a large software company that I know, gave a long-term reward of an expensive pen every five years. In some countries, the local office paid the taxable benefit for the employee so it was a real gift. In others, they didn't - the Swedish lot weren't too impressed that a "gift" from the company, that they didn't really want, cost them money.
            I know in some of the Nordic countries the tax laws are such that even if the employer wanted to pay the employees taxable benefit on the gift or any other benefit, they legally can't.

It's a case of checking the tax laws throughly before being "nice" to employees.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              It's claimable. Whether it needs to be declared as a BIK for the employees, is a different matter. So your "generosity" could help increase their tax burden.
              I thought I read the work was sub-contracted - so these coders aren't employees, but contracted suppliers? I which case why not get the supply of pizza worked into their contracts - they buy their own pizza, and bill you for it along with their usual hourly/day rate.
              2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
                I thought I read the work was sub-contracted - so these coders aren't employees, but contracted suppliers? I which case why not get the supply of pizza worked into their contracts - they buy their own pizza, and bill you for it along with their usual hourly/day rate.
                Surely even in that case, they would still be a taxable benefit, since their employer is providing the pizza?

For the sake of a couple of quid, is it really worth arsing about with this, though??
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                X