• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelled interview - payment for train ticket already made

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelled interview - payment for train ticket already made

Morning,

I was invited to interview for a role starting in New Year. The interview times meant I'd be getting a peak-time train out of London so I purchased a non-refundable advance ticket saving me loads on the walk-up fare.

However, the day before the interview, ClientCo cancelled interview.

Can my company still pick up the tab for the non-used train tickets?
    And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Where is NLUK ???
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
      Morning,

I was invited to interview for a role starting in New Year. The interview times meant I'd be getting a peak-time train out of London so I purchased a non-refundable advance ticket saving me loads on the walk-up fare.

Don't see why not. You've got the receipt. It was a bonafide cost for the co.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes.

And it shows (in a little, tiny way) that you are taking risk, which helps to prove you are a real business.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Where is NLUK ???
          Malvolio is just bring him around with smelling salts.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Morning,

It sounds like you have incurred the costs 'wholly and exclusively' for business purposes (assuming it was an interview for a contract not a permie role) and therefore you should be fine putting the cost through your company.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
              It sounds like you have incurred the costs 'wholly and exclusively' for business purposes (assuming it was an interview for a contract not a permie role) and therefore you should be fine putting the cost through your company.

Martin
              I've no plans to move to the dark side (permie) so yes, interview for contract.

Comment

Morning,

Definitely

Comment

Morning,

You can usually return unused train tickets at the station for a refund (minus an admin fee - £5 methinks). You should also be able to claim this back against your LTD. company.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                    You can usually return unused train tickets at the station for a refund (minus an admin fee - £5 methinks). You should also be able to claim this back against your LTD. company.
                    Sadly, not for "non-refundable" advance tickets. Unused Savers you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X