• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home and business rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home and business rates

It looks like I've secured my first contract. The contract requires that 95%, I will be required to work from home of the time. In light of this, should I have to worry about business rates on my home address.

Nope - you aren't going to be holding stock at home or having any visitors on your premises are you?

The thing to do is ask your accountant what you should claim for using a space in your home as an office.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Valuations office still say each case on its own merits.

VOA - Publications - Fact Sheets - Council Tax and Business Rates - Working at or from home

But, they did lose a significant case which is wrriten up here. This probably puts most homeworkers out of their reach if it is "clerical" type work.

Andrew Bibby

Comment

Guys,

Thanks..

James

Comment

Another slight issue you may have - and I appreciate it could possibly be vanishingly small in its chances - is that if you live in a newish house - it may be in the deeds that you can't run a business from it. A client of mine got a letter from the management company of the estate he lived in to cease and desist immediately. Jobsworth plonkers.

Oh, and congrats on securing the contract.

Comment

Running a business from your home and working at home are different. I work from home 100% but my business is based elsewhere.

Still best not to pee the neighbours off boasting about how much you earn to work in your PJs. Phrase it as "working from home" not "running a home business" and be careful BT don't force you to get a business phone line.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X