• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sergeantpluck View Post
    Can anyone recommend an accountant for a first-time contractor? I'm very new to all this (I have a couple of outside-IR35 contracts) - no idea what I'm doing with dividends, self-assessments, and all that. I'm with BI who set me up on FreeAgent which I've got running and in order but otherwise they are not helpful at all - maybe you get what you pay for - willing to pay a bit more for some help or advice to be honest. EDIT: do I lose all my FreeAgent work if I move to another accountant? Thank you.
    I'm not with BI but in their defence that's my experience with most contractor accountants. They do your accounts, not run your business. There are quite a few posts about what you expect from them. Some send out mail shots reminding you about this and that but it's up to you really. They are all helpful if you ask a question but the rest comes down to you I am afraid. If you don't understand something you need to go research it or ask the question. You do not pay for proactive help or lessons.

SJD were like this, Gorilla were like this when they were small and are same now they are big. Also look at what you pay, what is it? £1200 a year. How much time would you give your client for that? Three days billing? 24 hours a year? I'm sure accountants day rates would be more as well so less hours than that. So you you aren't paying for a lot of their time I am afraid.

No disrespect to BI and the other contractor accountants but it is a bit of a cut down sausage factory. They give you the tools and provide you a basic service. We aren't complex so it's churn for them.

And no, you don't lose FA data. That's the beauty of it. The accountants pass over the permissions and you just carry on but before jumping I'd just have a think about what you expect and what you pay for as many people are surprised at the reality. Even if you pay more you aren't going to get a personal accountant to help run your business I am afraid.

Do your research, ask them questions, learn and this requirement for help will quickly disappear anyway. Jumping ship because you are new and haven't done your research is just going to complicate things. You are a contractor with a business to run. That's your job now, not the coding stuff on site. It's up to you to learn how to run your business.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 January 2022, 12:19.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi, anyone currently with Gorilla Accounting that wants to share a referral please? Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by JHamp82 View Post

I use Gorilla Accounting. They use FreeAgent, with same day response guarantee and direct dial of my accountant helps massively.
        Hi - I received your message - but I can't reply!! (maybe as a new account limitation?) I think I require your full name, unless GA know you as JHamp82 ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2022TTM View Post
          Hi, anyone currently with Gorilla Accounting that wants to share a referral please? Thanks in advance
          Just mention NorthernladUK or NLUK and they'll automatically split it 50/50. They know me so know what to do.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2022TTM View Post

Hi - I received your message - but I can't reply!! (maybe as a new account limitation?) I think I require your full name, unless GA know you as JHamp82 ?
            Just use Jhamp82 and they'll know!

Thanks.

Comment

Anyone got any experience of Aardvark (and SG Umbrella they use)?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just mention NorthernladUK or NLUK and they'll automatically split it 50/50. They know me so know what to do.
                May I do this also please?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And me please, I'm currently on JSA and looking to move.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Anyone got any experience of Aardvark (and SG Umbrella they use)?
                    I have seen them advertised on CUK for many years and think Luisa who used to post on here runs one of them. And also never seen anything bad about them (unlike gorilla) which is always a good sign - no news is good news - so if I was looking would consider them.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

I have seen them advertised on CUK for many years and think Luisa who used to post on here runs one of them. And also never seen anything bad about them (unlike gorilla) which is always a good sign - no news is good news - so if I was looking would consider them.
                      unlike gorilla? Can you elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                      X