• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dreamy View Post
    I had a read of this thread as I am looking for a new accountant. My current accountants used to be good but recently have started to hire graduates and I find mistakes in my accounts and therefore I need to keep a close eye on them.

I also have a property business and I provide a spreadsheet to my current accountants and these get included into my self assessment each year.
    I currently don't get charged anything extra as there isn't much effort involved.

Gorrilla Accountants

I had an initial discussion, not with the actual accountant but the front desk. Everything was fine but they wanted to charge me £45/property which I found to be excessive, especially when they only have to read a spreadsheet. When I queried this they offered £40/property. As my business grows then so would the charges so this was a no go.

BI Accountancy

I had a 20min discussion with the actual accountant. It went well. We talked about the service they provide and how I would transfer my company and Freeagent way of working. My self assessment is included in the price and no extra charge for my property business. My only slight concern is that it's a only been around for 2 years.

Would any current BI Accountancy clients like to comment on the experience level of BI Accountants? Does everything get completed on time?

Thanks
    It seems that the issue you have with your current accountant is the experience/qualification of the staff that they assign to you - are you satisfied that the next firm you use will solve that issue?

I wouldn't be too concerned by the amount of time a firm has been around (I say that as somebody whose firm is 6 months old), but look at the experience and qualifications of whoever is behind the firm and also the accountant that would be working on your company. LinkedIn could be a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
      It seems that the issue you have with your current accountant is the experience/qualification of the staff that they assign to you - are you satisfied that the next firm you use will solve that issue?

I wouldn't be too concerned by the amount of time a firm has been around (I say that as somebody whose firm is 6 months old), but look at the experience and qualifications of whoever is behind the firm and also the accountant that would be working on your company. LinkedIn could be a good place to start.
      Thanks.

I've had a look on LinkedIn. What is good level of experience for an accountant?

Comment

Thanks.

I've had a look on LinkedIn. What is good level of experience for an accountant?
        I can vouch for BI. I assume its Michael you spoke to. I've met him and he's a decent guy, knows his stuff and cares about his business. Being around only 2 years is not a problem at all. He's growing and spends a lot of time marketing and networking.
        I've met two other contractors that are with him as well and he's been helpful on here.

If the package he offers is the right price then you can't go wrong with him and BI.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I can vouch for BI. I assume its Michael you spoke to. I've met him and he's a decent guy, knows his stuff and cares about his business. Being around only 2 years is not a problem at all. He's growing and spends a lot of time marketing and networking.
          I've met two other contractors that are with him as well and he's been helpful on here.

If the package he offers is the right price then you can't go wrong with him and BI.
          Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I spoke to Thomas at BI who is also one the directors there.

Comment

Would any current BI Accountancy clients like to comment on the experience level of BI Accountants? Does everything get completed on time?
            I'm not a BI client, if anything I'm a competitor, but I'd anticipate you would get a decent service from them.

A couple of queries from your post though...looks to me like they've been going ~4 years not ~2? Also I don't think Thomas is a director of the company, though of course that in no way means he can't be very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              A couple of queries from your post though...looks to me like they've been going ~4 years not ~2? Also I don't think Thomas is a director of the company, though of course that in no way means he can't be very good.
              Just to clarify on this our contracting arm has been going since Dec 14 (Co 09352377). We have since setup another company in order to branch into the SME market with our offering (Co 11050351) myself and Thomas are indeed directors of this.

Comment

Thanks
                Use BI myself, specifically Michael. Property and contracting business through them, always very professional service. FYI Michael was previously with one of the more well known accountants, if I recall correctly, so although the company may not have the experience, the personnel do.

AJ

Comment

Thanks
                  Hi dreamy, I've been using BI Accountancy for nearly 3 years now (as a software dev contractor) and I've found them to be excellent.

Michael McCullion is my accountant there and he always answers my (many) random tax questions about both my company taxes and personal taxes extremely quickly.

I've recommended them to friends who've started contracting and would definitely recommend them to you too ?

Comment

I've signed up to CT Associates last year and so far they have been fantastic so would be more than happy to recommend them to any one looking. Really professional service and always happy to help.

Accountants in Sittingbourne : CT Associates

Comment

Originally posted by asingh View Post
                      I've signed up to CT Associates last year and so far they have been fantastic so would be more than happy to recommend them to any one looking. Really professional service and always happy to help.

Accountants in Sittingbourne : CT Associates
                      Why didn't you sign up for one that offered Freeagent as part of the package? Seems odd to sign up for an accountant that leaves you hanging for a book keeping solution.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X