• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kolata
    replied
    Just to make it clear what do I mean by proactive:
    When the new divi tax was announced long before April 2016, I haven't received any warning/heads up from my acct. I found about it by chance on the internet (not here).
    Chance was on the 10 April 2016 I could have withdrawn the maximum divi upto the £43 000 tax band. This for me and my wife resulting in ~£4200 total divi tax.
    That kind of things.

As for the price, £800 per year for accounts and payroll is pretty good. Not sure how much more a proactive approach to cover the above kind of things would cost (we are not talking every small change in tax regime).
    Last edited by kolata; 23 June 2016, 11:57.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    That's one of my pet hates too.....Don't get me started on the website though, we've had so many issues with our web team. If anyone does web design I'd happily take a quote from them to change a good few things on there!

Just to pick up on Fred's point too, I don't think he'd need to pay too much more than his current fees to get a more proactive service but what is proactive is a very subjective matter.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    I agree, one person's definition of proactive is the next person's unsolicited mail. Myself, I think every contractor should spend time researching his own situation, keep up to date and use the accountant as more of a sounding board than anything else. But then again, there are those who will present the accountant annually with a shoe box full of papers and tell them to just sort it out.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    If you can correct the "you're / your" grammar in you're video then I might consider switching you're way...

(Accounting Service for Contractors page)
    That's one of my pet hates too.....Don't get me started on the website though, we've had so many issues with our web team. If anyone does web design I'd happily take a quote from them to change a good few things on there!

Just to pick up on Fred's point too, I don't think he'd need to pay too much more than his current fees to get a more proactive service but what is proactive is a very subjective matter.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by kolata View Post
    Hi
    time to change the accountant. What I need them to do is:
    company accounts with HMRC and Comp House
    payroll for 2: director/employee and one more employee
    Answer questions
    Be proactive so I don't need to get to know about changes from this forum or internet.

I don't need VAT - I am on FRVATS

My current one charges me £800 per year + VAT so this is my price range.

So which one do you recommend?

If you get recommendation bonus PM me.
    If you are accountant PM me to discuss.
    You're paying low end fees. If you expect a more proactive, more personalised service, I think you will need to pay (probably quite a bit) more.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    I'll let others provide recommendations as I'm obviously biased but would be interested to know why you want to move from your current accountant? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say get in touch but I'll happily have a chat with you if you want to discuss things further seeing as you asked.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    If you can correct the "you're / your" grammar in you're video then I might consider switching you're way...

(Accounting Service for Contractors page)

Leave a comment:

• kolata
    replied
    Hi Kolata

You should be aware that you probably don't have PM rights yet so hopefully Admin will see your post and activate them for you, otherwise you need a minimum number of posts (may be 10 but not sure).

I'll let others provide recommendations as I'm obviously biased but would be interested to know why you want to move from your current accountant? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say get in touch but I'll happily have a chat with you if you want to discuss things further seeing as you asked.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    The main and only reason is that they failed in being proactive. Some fairly big changes (divi tax, comp NIC refund) were not discussed timely.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by kolata View Post
    Hi
    Answer questions
    Be proactive so I don't need to get to know about changes from this forum or internet.

Hi Kolata

You should be aware that you probably don't have PM rights yet so hopefully Admin will see your post and activate them for you, otherwise you need a minimum number of posts (may be 10 but not sure).

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• kolata
    replied
    Hi
    Answer questions

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Age quod agis View Post
    You a Cyber Security contractor by any chance?
    Even the security guys can apply some common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Age quod agis
    replied
    Originally posted by inpots View Post
    As a matter of fact I do. They just "fired" me (letter of disengagement) as a client after only 3 months because I had the audacity to suggest they should encrypt payslips when emailing them. It wasn't even a complaint, just a single "I am disappointed" email, offer constructive feedback on how it would improve privacy and security for their clients.

So my suggestion - stay away from them unless you want the hassle of searching for a new accountant shortly after this search.
    You a Cyber Security contractor by any chance?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X