• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from Crunch

Just been looking through this thread as I'm thinking of changing from Crunch, are there any firms where I can just send all my receipts to them and they key everything in (correctly), and then send me a nice correctly categorised list that I can then enter into my agency system? On top of that, run my bank recs, pay my suppliers and and produce my invoices. All I need to do is monitor everything through a nice pretty little portal. Oh and of course support other currencies apart from GBP - rather than some invisible exchange rate that is not visible and cannot be selected manually. Maybe I am expecting too much from an accountant or I need to subcontract my bookkeeping out? I did think about using QDOS but they haven't really jumped out at me on here. I'll look into FreeAgent, maybe it is the Crunch interface that is cumbersome.

Comment

Originally posted by LHM View Post
      Just been looking through this thread as I'm thinking of changing from Crunch, are there any firms where I can just send all my receipts to them and they key everything in (correctly), and then send me a nice correctly categorised list that I can then enter into my agency system? On top of that, run my bank recs, pay my suppliers and and produce my invoices. All I need to do is monitor everything through a nice pretty little portal. Oh and of course support other currencies apart from GBP - rather than some invisible exchange rate that is not visible and cannot be selected manually. Maybe I am expecting too much from an accountant or I need to subcontract my bookkeeping out? I did think about using QDOS but they haven't really jumped out at me on here. I'll look into FreeAgent, maybe it is the Crunch interface that is cumbersome.
      Be careful what you ask for. What you appear to want is a manged service company (MSC) and that is a very bad idea. If I were you, I would seriously consider using the brolly recommended on here. That way, you minimise your admin work.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by LHM View Post
        You would probably have to look at outsourcing the expense & invoice side of things to a bookkeeping company rather than an accountant because you may be getting close to falling foul of the MSC legislation if your accountant basically does everything for you (including paying people) as Fred mentioned. An Umbrella may be easier for you if you want the reduced admin effort although your net pay would reduce as a result of going Umbrella.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
          You would probably have to look at outsourcing the expense & invoice side of things to a bookkeeping company rather than an accountant because you may be getting close to falling foul of the MSC legislation if your accountant basically does everything for you (including paying people) as Fred mentioned. An Umbrella may be easier for you if you want the reduced admin effort although your net pay would reduce as a result of going Umbrella.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd
          Depending on his/her rate though, paying for book keeping as well as accounting might be more expensive overall than using a brolly. Brollies don't charge extra for trade insurances, no need for IR35 insurance and if you take a months holiday they won't charge for that either. So the sums need to be done really.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Depending on his/her rate though, paying for book keeping as well as accounting might be more expensive overall than using a brolly. Brollies don't charge extra for trade insurances, no need for IR35 insurance and if you take a months holiday they won't charge for that either. So the sums need to be done really.
            Good points - wouldn't consider a brolly at all. I'll put up and shut up

Comment

No travel and subsistence expenses though and you do need to factor that in nowadays
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                No travel and subsistence expenses though and you do need to factor that in nowadays
                Depends on SDC though? And I suspect the same will apply to Ltd Co users soon enough too. Like I said, do the sums and decide.

Comment

Depends on SDC though? And I suspect the same will apply to Ltd Co users soon enough too. Like I said, do the sums and decide.
                  Nope the use of an umbrella automatically implies a member is subject to SDC once HMRC gets the law written correctly.

And while it's true it may also be try for ltd cos it is not yet true
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Nope the use of an umbrella automatically implies a member is subject to SDC once HMRC gets the law written correctly.

And while it's true it may also be try for ltd cos it is not yet true
                    Yes, you're right. Wait and see what the budget brings in 2017 then.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      We have a number of people with NW. Psychocandy is for one and there are a lot if SJD'ers but there is a bit of a migration going on as they are at the more expensive end and they seem to be having some issues at present.

I was with SJD up to a year and a bit ago and had to leave. IMO you want an accountant using Freeagent. Nice little system and everyone I know what has started using it likes it. I use, and would recommend Gorilla Accounting. Ex SJD staff so have the knowledge and have freeagent thrown in. A number of posters here use them.

If you want to research any of these try searching the forums to see what the feedback is.

Use SJD site:forums.contractoruk.com in Google and it will return all threads with SJD mentioned etc.
                      Hi,

I am looking to move away from SJD. Too many costly mistakes.

Regarding Gorilla, I note that the do not have any offices in London, whereas I am based in London.

Will that matter ?

Comment

Working...
                      X