• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Ltd company account have paid these expenses directly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Ltd company account have paid these expenses directly?

Having a limited company i understand that such expenses like cycle 2 work scheme and childcare can and should be paid directly by the employer aka from the limited company bank account.

The case i am looking at, the director purchased the bike himself but having the company name on the receipt.
    Would this still be classed as claimable under the cycle 2 work scheme as he paid it personally with the company name on it.
    I know he can claim personal mileage on a personal bike but the question here is, is the cycle 2 work scheme avaliable still due to the fact the company name was on the receipt.

I was under the impression that the expense should only be paid directly from the company account to be classed as being supplied directly from the company and therefore this case above is not allowable and only personal 20p per mile claimable?
    Last edited by chrisl; 27 July 2011, 11:26.

HM Revenue & Customs: Cyclists - provision of certain benefits
    EIM21664 - Particular benefits: exemption for bicycles

Certainly all the wording in those and referenced links appears to relate to a cycle being provided by the company. Is something definitely a personal expense if it came from a personal account? Dunno, if I paid cash for a pack of printer paper for company use I wouldn't consider it personal expenditure. On the other hand, printer paper is not obviously a personal benefit like a bicycle. My guess (that's all it is) would be that is not allowable.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
    X