• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    You can bet your last time that he works for the PCG (The leeches who make plenty of money out of IR35 and have nightmare's about it ever being scraped)
    Helen, I think you may be spot on there. I recall from way back that the PCG wrote something very disparaging about MTM (as it was then known). MTM clocked this comment and forced the PCG to make a humiliating apology in order to avoid a libel action. Maybe someone there has been keeping their grudge warm for a long time. Anyway, as others have already said, best to ignore this bitter and twisted individual and move on.

On another matter, I think the change of tack regarding the next letters to MPs is a good idea, namely cite the injustices of denying us our day in court fighting under the pre-2008 tax legislation (as was already promised by HMRC) and ask for an early day motion to redress the matter.

Also, given the recent publicity in the FT about retrospective tax changes, is it time for a stratgically placed and timed full page advert?

Comment

Originally posted by nick4notax View Post
      How about collectively asking our MPs to table an early day motion to debate limiting S58 application to post April '08 claims ?
      Quick question:

Say one was only in the scheme for 1 year - 2007/08

And say the retrospection does get amended to only affect claims after April '08 - would this mean that a tax return submitted in January 2009 (for tax period 2007/08) would be treated retrospectively or not?

Comment

Heard from Mine

Originally posted by swede View Post
        I'm still waiting to hear back from mine - well, at least for him to tell me the response he received from the treasury (which will be similar to others Im sure).

When I receive that, I will be arranging to go and see him.
        Appointment Friday pm, will keep you posted
        OIG

Comment

Originally posted by OldITGit View Post
          Appointment Friday pm, will keep you posted
          OIG
          Nice one. I chased my MP yesterday and he's still waiting for a response from the TSC. I guess you got the usual response from the treasury?

Comment

Originally posted by superdeano View Post
            Quick question:

Say one was only in the scheme for 1 year - 2007/08

And say the retrospection does get amended to only affect claims after April '08 - would this mean that a tax return submitted in January 2009 (for tax period 2007/08) would be treated retrospectively or not?
            Lots of supposition. However, an amended retro element would not be phrased to cover SARs submitted after 12 March 2008, but only for use of the scheme after that date, which, as far as know, no one would have done.

So long and short, 2007/08 would be in the clear IF (big "if") the retrospective element were to be amended.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

is 28th April too late to see my mp ?

my local mp is having a surgery this saturday but you can't make an appointment so would have to q with all the other nutters/pond life

Surgery Dates and Location (Paul Burstow MP)

he was supportive in letters a few years back ...gone a bit quiet now he is in government (lib) but want to meet him.

He has another surgery in a few weeks so have booked an appointment with him on 28th April (max 15mins tho )

so what is the consensus ... q up with the pond life and join the scrum this saturday or chill out and wait for a proper appointment in a few weeks ... ?

Comment

Yes TSC then

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                Nice one. I chased my MP yesterday and he's still waiting for a response from the TSC. I guess you got the usual response from the treasury?
                I followed up with emails, with my name and address, if those details are not included, they wont be read, then got a phonecall after requesting a meeting
                OIG

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                  so what is the consensus ... q up with the pond life and join the scrum this saturday or chill out and wait for a proper appointment in a few weeks ... ?
                  I would stick with the appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                    my local mp is having a surgery this saturday but you can't make an appointment so would have to q with all the other nutters/pond life

Surgery Dates and Location (Paul Burstow MP)

he was supportive in letters a few years back ...gone a bit quiet now he is in government (lib) but want to meet him.

He has another surgery in a few weeks so have booked an appointment with him on 28th April (max 15mins tho )

As the Donkey said. I have my appointment for 27 April with Paul Beresford. Send him a briefing paper ahead of the meeting so he knows what you want to talk about and significantly what you want him to do.

Good luck!
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                      As the Donkey said. I have my appointment for 27 April with Paul Beresford. Send him a briefing paper ahead of the meeting so he knows what you want to talk about and significantly what you want him to do.

Good luck!
                      Worth noting that they create a Surgery pack for the MP the night before (or mine did anyway) so get your one pager to them in advance.
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X