• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal

Montpelier have had productive talks with Steed/KPMG and PwC.

I've not heard anything about deGraaf.

The way forward is very likely to involve Europe as well as the UK tax courts.

Political

Montpelier fully understand why we want to do this but can't be involved. We have their moral support though.

A lobbying firm has been briefed. Watch this space...
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 25 March 2012, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Legal

Anyone with deGraaf know what they're doing?

Political

Montpelier fully understand why we want to do this but can't be involved. We have their moral support though.

Excellent DR - very encouraging - let me know please how I can get involved financially. If we all stick in a a bit of cash we will be able to really fight this. A lobbying firm is a superb idea - presumably they will place the firm evidence under MPs' noses and let them see how we have been completely screwed.

And MontP's position is equally encouraging - many promoters could have given up the fight by now - at least MontP see mileage in what you are doing and are still continuing this lengthy battle.
      Join the campaign at
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Sometimes justice takes a long long time...

I have noticed that really bad abuses of power where one side is seemingly powerful and the other an inconvenient set of "little people" take a really long time to be put right. In fact I think it could be that this is the way of things due to the initial set up of the struggle.
        I think that when the truth is so starkly on the side of the little folk things often have a way of working themselves out eventually because maintaining an ever increasingly complex web of lies and deceit becomes disproportionately difficult, the abusers eventually lose the taste for it, get found out by the right person, or simply move on into other roles or retire (hence the long time scale for the tide to turn). The little folk cannot and will not give up the fight and of course they always have the side of honesty and truth which empowers rather than diminishing resolve.

Now I may have watched too much Hollywood but there are loads of examples of apparent amazing wins against the apparent odds, e.g. Erin Brockovich, Watergate, the "smoking isn't bad for your health lobby", as others have mentioned the downfall of the Murdoch empire etc
        I think it seems hopeless right up until the end but eventually the tide turns and the balance of power shifts and then its like a avalanche and resistance gives way.

As for morally repugnant anyone got a spare 250k to go have din dins with Dave and Sam? I'll say no more....

Got a reply from 1 of my MPs she has written to Gauke and she is sympathetic, a decent woman who is likely to be capable of understanding the nuances of this rather than the tabloid misinformation type headlines. She is in government LibDem. I will try to go and speak to her.

Last point, was interested to listen to the Moral Maze on Rad 4 last night discussing tax avoidance re: morality, loved the chap who proposed it was a moral obligation to legally minimise your tax payments....fell asleep as have been unwell recently so didn't hear it all will listen again later... BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Moral Maze - Episodes available now on BBC iPlayer

Still think we'll prevail....eventually....still think it will take more time though.....remember it is darkest before the dawn.
        The Cat

Comment

THE TRUTH

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
          I have noticed that really bad abuses of power where one side is seemingly powerful and the other an inconvenient set of "little people" take a really long time to be put right. In fact I think it could be that this is the way of things due to the initial set up of the struggle.
          I think that when the truth is so starkly on the side of the little folk things often have a way of working themselves out eventually because maintaining an ever increasingly complex web of lies and deceit becomes disproportionately difficult, the abusers eventually lose the taste for it, get found out by the right person, or simply move on into other roles or retire (hence the long time scale for the tide to turn). The little folk cannot and will not give up the fight and of course they always have the side of honesty and truth which empowers rather than diminishing resolve.

Now I may have watched too much Hollywood but there are loads of examples of apparent amazing wins against the apparent odds, e.g. Erin Brockovich, Watergate, the "smoking isn't bad for your health lobby", as others have mentioned the downfall of the Murdoch empire etc
          I think it seems hopeless right up until the end but eventually the tide turns and the balance of power shifts and then its like a avalanche and resistance gives way.

As for morally repugnant anyone got a spare 250k to go have din dins with Dave and Sam? I'll say no more....

Got a reply from 1 of my MPs she has written to Gauke and she is sympathetic, a decent woman who is likely to be capable of understanding the nuances of this rather than the tabloid misinformation type headlines. She is in government LibDem. I will try to go and speak to her.

Last point, was interested to listen to the Moral Maze on Rad 4 last night discussing tax avoidance re: morality, loved the chap who proposed it was a moral obligation to legally minimise your tax payments....fell asleep as have been unwell recently so didn't hear it all will listen again later... BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Moral Maze - Episodes available now on BBC iPlayer

Still think we'll prevail....eventually....still think it will take more time though.....remember it is darkest before the dawn.
          Samuel Johnson said...

The truth is the truth, is the truth ! You can't bend it ,you can't shape it ,you can't alter it......... It will out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganimos View Post
            Samuel Johnson said...

The truth is the truth, is the truth ! You can't bend it ,you can't shape it ,you can't alter it......... It will out.
            Yes but it will only "out" if everyone tees up meetings with their MP's and broadcasts the date of any meetings accordingly. To get the truth out, the whole picture needs to be presented in a succinct unemotional format; as well of course as the emotional elements of what we are personally going through (stress, financial pressure, marriage breakdown etc) in separate format, but still presented at the same time. getting the two mixed up would give the erroneous impression that you are just having a rant because things are not going your way.
            Last edited by Dieselpower; 25 March 2012, 14:05.
            Join the campaign at

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Legal

I've not heard anything about deGraaf.

Political

Thanks for the update DR!!

Looks like the fight is just beginning, can't wait to see what's next!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post

Its gonna be a showcase showdown, I do believe. [But not quite as fun as The Price is Right]
                Last edited by Dieselpower; 25 March 2012, 21:50.
                Join the campaign at

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
                  Its gonna be a showcase showdown, I do believe. [But not quite as fun as The Price is Right]
                  For what opinions are worth, win or lose I don't think Hector or Gauke are going to come out of this looking very good. For GFauke its going to damage limitation !!

PS it was a typo but I thought it was apt to leave in.
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post

Just the beginning. What a great quality of life we are all experiencing. Maybe one day we can look back over this awful experience and laugh, but I doubt it very much. Hector has a lot to answer for.....

Oh thanks DR. You really are a star!

Comment

Originally posted by Ganimos View Post
                      Samuel Johnson said...

and that simple truth is that the law was changed in 2008 and included a retrospective element. Thats been known and written about since day one. Whats truth got to do with anything ? Its being treated with fairness that we want !

Comment

Working...
                      X