• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    ... from what I understand, once your affairs are in the hands of the bankruptcy court, HMRC will be just one of a long line of creditors with no preferential treatment over the others.
    That is correct now. but prior to 15 September 2003, the Crown (=HMRC) would have had preferential priority.

So I presume Hector just has to take another quick hop in his Tardis in order to bag your cash...

Comment

what now

Hey All,

Cant sleep now 12:14am....

So someone tell me what the options are now....is there more to go with MP...or is that it? (sorry i havent been following for a while)

I also love the letter from HMRC..."Pay now"..... would be nice if they told us how much they think is owed? or is there a way of seeing that?
      When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
        That is correct now. but prior to 15 September 2003, the Crown (=HMRC) would have had preferential priority.

So I presume Hector just has to take another quick hop in his Tardis in order to bag your cash...
        I think I need a tardis to take me on a round the world cruise.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Too Machiavellian?

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
          Entrapment pure and simple!!!
          The weird thing about this is that it may well have played a significant role in determining the Judges' decisions.

Once the amount of alleged revenue had exceeded some threshold value (£100m, say), wouldn't it have become politically difficult for Judges to find in favour of the Appellant on the grounds of proportionality and public interest?

HMRC couldn't be that Machiavellian, could they?

Comment

Montpelier Circular

The letter is going out tomorrow.

BUT do not get excited. It is just an interim holding position. They are still consulting with Counsel and other parties.

Yes this could have been sent 2 weeks ago but I suggest we get over it and move on.

Comment

Approaching Members of Parliament

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              Personally I think you wasting your time. I'd expect the response to be that the government/parliament left the matter with the courts to decide and they now have so **** off
              Whatever opinion we have of Members of Parliament, they and parliament are the biggest contributor to our position - they enacted the retrospective legislation. HMRC no doubt sees itself as quite properly implementing the will of Parliament. The courts see themselves as interpreting the will of parliament. I think that we should all now start pressing our Members of Parliament to intervene in what is a manifestly unfair piece of legislation. I agree with others that we are very likely to be branded as "tax dodgers" by the wider media and should keep clear of them. I also feel that we should wait for Montpelier's letter - they have stuck with us all the way so far. There is a huge amount of technical detail that we can take to our Members of Parliament. I suggest that as well as giving that detail we ask each of them one very simple question: "Do you approve of retrospective legislation - yes or no?". My guess is that most of them see themselves as people of principle who disapprove of retrospective legislation: once they have said that they don't approve of it then we can move them to what actions they will take to protect us from the consequences.

Find your MP's email address here:
              Lists of MPs - UK Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydd View Post
                Whatever opinion we have of Members of Parliament, they and parliament are the biggest contributor to our position - they enacted the retrospective legislation. HMRC no doubt sees itself as quite properly implementing the will of Parliament. The courts see themselves as interpreting the will of parliament. I think that we should all now start pressing our Members of Parliament to intervene in what is a manifestly unfair piece of legislation. I agree with others that we are very likely to be branded as "tax dodgers" by the wider media and should keep clear of them. I also feel that we should wait for Montpelier's letter - they have stuck with us all the way so far. There is a huge amount of technical detail that we can take to our Members of Parliament. I suggest that as well as giving that detail we ask each of them one very simple question: "Do you approve of retrospective legislation - yes or no?". My guess is that most of them see themselves as people of principle who disapprove of retrospective legislation: once they have said that they don't approve of it then we can move them to what actions they will take to protect us from the consequences.

I've never met an MP who has said "yes" or "no". Good luck with that!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

BUT do not get excited. It is just an interim holding position. They are still consulting with Counsel and other parties.

Yes this could have been sent 2 weeks ago but I suggest we get over it and move on.
                  DR totally utterly couldnt agree more. What we dont need is a knee jerk reaction at this stage from MP purely in the interests of satisfying nerves. I want them to take their time and consider their strategy and maybe have some kind of framework in place with HMRC to progrees this to its conclusion. Its pretty bloody obvious (to me anyway) thats what theyre doing and I dont need a letter stating as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydd View Post

agreed, my letter is going today. It's personal, includes some work background around IR35 and reason I went for the scheme. I spell out the timeline including the original conservative attempt to amend BN66 and HMRCs actions throughout. No harm in referring back to the amendment, the deal struck with Suo Motu, and the question around retro interest.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

DR whats left in your opinion?
                      When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Working...
                      X