• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody have the FACTS about what will happen next?

i.e. Will we now receive a bill from HMRC with 30 days to pay (or face a 20% fine).

There is talk about tribunals etc....but I assumed that now it is law (and the courts agree) they can demand payment in full.

Comment

Sorry it didn't go your way

To All Affected By This Ruling

I was very sorry to hear that you didn't (or haven't yet) got the ruling that you wanted and deserved. I think this ruling is a travesty and as always, it isn't just what they've done now but what they will do with the power in the future.

HMRC now has the same approach as the IRS in the USA - guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

I know this doesn't offer any tangible help - I just wanted to say how sorry I am for everybody involved from someone who has been through the HMRC mill and emerged, heavily damaged but still functioning at the other end.

I wish everybody luck with whatever actions you take going forward.

Comment

TRIBUNALS

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

i.e. Will we now receive a bill from HMRC with 30 days to pay (or face a 20% fine).

There is talk about tribunals etc....but I assumed that now it is law (and the courts agree) they can demand payment in full.
        It is law as far as the UK courts have sanctioned it. The tax is now due.

H M R C still have to prove they got all the other procedures correct.i e. served all notices correctly and on time etc.etc etc .That's for the Tribunals to rule on. That's where (Tribunals) all the other arguments will be aired.i.e. all the special arrangement's made in respect of other schemes etc.

Comment

As I see it, a group deal is unlikely. Why would they need to? Unless MP can do a job on them at the tribunal.

Any deal would need to be on an individual basis if your solicitor can wing it, i.e. chunk upfront plus a payment plan is what I'm working to now, seeing as I have no hope of paying the whole lot (unless the tax tribunal gets delayed til 2020).

I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

As it says in Brannigan's latest letter, the next step for HMRC is to finalise the appeals of our closure notices. They can't start issuing demands until the appeals have been discharged.

I know the uncertainty is unsettling but, rather than speculating about this, can I suggest that we wait until we receive an update from Montpelier next week.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Oh, it's better than this.

Some of the Suo Motu users subsequently switched to the Montpelier scheme.

In other words, some Montpelier users have already benefited from the deal.

This is how Montpelier know all the details.
              Thanks, that is enlightening, to say the least.

Comment

Calm down and carry on.

I know the uncertainty is unsettling but, rather than speculating about this, can I suggest that we wait until we receive an update from Montpelier next week.
                DR, you continue to be the voice of rational thought and sanity. Thank you.

I'm sure Mr.G has an arsenal of weapons poised for use in the most damaging (to HMRC) way possible. I look forward to his next strategy.

By the way, I'm in the 'can't pay, won't pay' bracket and often swing between faith in the system and deepest despair. This forum often helps in both directions hence the value I get from the sobre reflections of your good self.
                Oh well.

Comment

Does this not also set a precedent in law that retrospective tax is OK?

Thought that is something the SC would want to avoid?
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

rather than speculating about this, can I suggest that we wait until we receive an update from Montpelier next week.
                    errr - sorry to disagree with the great DR but this is cuk! Informed gosssip and tattle, prefrably ignore all facts, is in line with the rest of cuk.

BTW I did read an article in the mail on BN66 - apparently it is all the fault of the immigrants. But they did have a picture of Brannigan - he lives with his Mum. And being the mail it said how much his house is worth....

**Please note that this post was entirely made up and is not true. **

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                      DR, you continue to be the voice of rational thought and sanity. Thank you.

I'm sure Mr.G has an arsenal of weapons poised for use in the most damaging (to HMRC) way possible. I look forward to his next strategy.

By the way, I'm in the 'can't pay, won't pay' bracket and often swing between faith in the system and deepest despair. This forum often helps in both directions hence the value I get from the sobre reflections of your good self.
                      Oh well.
                      I second that!!
                      My wife (bless her) has just sent me an MMS containing a pic of an envelope from dear HMRC. I wonder what it will say. Any guesses?? Another quick scan and off to MP it goes.
                      Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Working...
                      X