• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upton - What Next

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upton - What Next

I'm an Upton client and I know there are a few others on here. I was wondering what all the other contractors here are intending to do with regards their accountancy requirements. Have you started looking for a new accountant or are you waiting for things to pan out first. If you are looking for a new accountant, do other members have any recommendations?

I won't comment on the case at hand other than to say that personally I don't believe the charges. <Mod snip> Like I say, he has been great in my experience and hopefully he'll be able to sort this mess out. If not though, then I'd like a plan B in place...

I for one agree with what you say. The things that have been alleged are so amateurish anyone with half a brain would not have done them, as they knew they would be found out.

But at the same time, it's a risk we could all do without. I'm simply looking to get my Y/E accounts produced, so that I have the option to change accountants if I need to

Comment

We left Upton's after being with them for several years with multiple limited companies, but we have first hand experience of what transpired. I'm currently with InTouch and have been very happy with them so far. We paid InTouch several hundred pounds (similar rate quoted by several accountants so seems fair) to have our 2010 accounts redone from scratch as we had no faith Upton would deliver on time, with accuracy, and frankly didn’t want Darren anywhere near my accounts again.

Believe what you will but I highly recommend anyone who is with Upton to move on immediately. It’s a fine line on what can be disclosed without Mod’s intervening but suffice to say Darren is currently not in any position to supply services so it would be up to the remaining staff. Which isn’t necessarily bad but not sure what qualifications they hold?

Comment

Mod Note.

I have allowed this thread through chaps as it was a reasonable and valid question.

Speculation and other posts not relating to that original question will be removed.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisfunny View Post
          I'm an Upton client and I know there are a few others on here. I was wondering what all the other contractors here are intending to do with regards their accountancy requirements. Have you started looking for a new accountant or are you waiting for things to pan out first. If you are looking for a new accountant, do other members have any recommendations?

I won't comment on the case at hand other than to say that personally I don't believe the charges. <Mod snip> Like I say, he has been great in my experience and hopefully he'll be able to sort this mess out. If not though, then I'd like a plan B in place...
          I had first experience with Upton and they were shocking - Everything was late and not coherent

<admin removed>
          Last edited by administrator; 8 July 2011, 11:20. Reason: Speculation - please don't speculate on what you think, stick to facts

Comment

Originally posted by Crack Addick View Post
            I for one agree with what you say. The things that have been alleged are so amateurish anyone with half a brain would not have done them, as they knew they would be found out.

But at the same time, it's a risk we could all do without. I'm simply looking to get my Y/E accounts produced, so that I have the option to change accountants if I need to
            Why not ring up Uptons, they are very frank about what has happened and what their limitations now are.

Comment

For the record, I was generally happy with the Upton until earlier this year. I primarily dealt with <removed> and Darren Upton. As ZARDOZ suggested it’s worth contacting the remaining Upton staff and asking them candid questions. My recommendation stands that you should find a new accountant sooner rather than later based on first hand, factual information, not regurgitated anecdotes.
              Last edited by administrator; 11 July 2011, 08:44. Reason: Name removed on request.

Comment

I've been with Uptons since I started contracting in 2006, and up until 2010 they were excellent.

Then for my 2009-2010 year end accounts, silly mistakes creapt in and I found myself having to email Darren the same information again and again in order for things to be done correctly. Over the course of 2010 their service got worse in my experience, with silly mistakes creaping in to VAT returns, Darren disagreeing with the advice his staff had given and Darren himself on multiple occasions assuring me that something had been done by himself personally - only to find out later that it hadn't.

This January I decided I had had enough, and prepared a letter of complaint that I was going to send to Darren after they had completed my end of year accounts for 2010 -2011. Informing him that I wanted a good reason for the drop in service levels or I would be leaving.

However before they had done this, well, we all know what happned next.

I agreed with Darren that they could complete our year end accounts but informed him we would be leaving after that.

Over the next 3 months I personally spoke to Darren on 4 occasions, and was told that our accounts were completed and just needed reviewing before they could be sent to us for sign off. Each time he said that he had spotted a tiny error that had been rectified and they were now waiting for review again.

Then a few weeksw ago I happend to chase when Darren was not in the office so spoke to someone else, who after investing phone me back, then confirmed in an email, that no work had been started on my accounts, and that they were due for starting the next month.

Do Darren himself has personally lied to me.

Make of that what you will.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                X