• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post Date Paper Dividend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Date Paper Dividend

Just got a very scary email from my (new) accountant. Drew out more (20k) in 2010-2011 than I had actually declared as dividend.

They will issue a paper dividend but have warned me that this will apply to current tax year. i.e. I won't be able to pay myself hardly anything without hitting the higher rate because I'll already be 20k down & the year has hardly started.

Can't you post date paper dividends? I never got in this situation with my old accountant & I used to operate in exactly the same way.

Help, Please!

I think that normally ends up as a loan doesn't it? So the new dividend just serves to repay the loan, it doesn't have to be post dated or back dated or anything.

There might be something to pay on the loan though. It used to be a benefit in kind and you were taxed on the nominal interest but the rules changed in the last few years I think, I'm not sure what the situation is now.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Your new accountant is operating strictly under the law.

If however you forgot to send him the screwed up paper dividend which you did yourself and you misfiled then I suggest you put it in the post and send it to him via recorded signed for post. After all you don't want Royal Mail to misplace it after you just found it......
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The other option is to actually run your finances properly. As director you are ultimately liable and it is you that will get fined and worse not your accountant.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 5 July 2011, 10:12.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Just got a very scary email from my (new) accountant. Drew out more (20k) in 2010-2011 than I had actually declared as dividend.

They will issue a paper dividend but have warned me that this will apply to current tax year. i.e. I won't be able to pay myself hardly anything without hitting the higher rate because I'll already be 20k down & the year has hardly started.

Can't you post date paper dividends? I never got in this situation with my old accountant & I used to operate in exactly the same way.

Help, Please!
          Yep, they are being ******* arseholes. Go back to your old accountant.

Unless last year's accounts have actually been filed with companies house \ hmrc, they are being very petty imo. I'd change them asap if I were you.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Yep, they are being ******* arseholes. Go back to your old accountant.

Unless last year's accounts have actually been filed with companies house \ hmrc, they are being very petty imo. I'd change them asap if I were you.
            Filed with companies house but not HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The other option is to actually run your finances properly. As directory you are ultimately liable and it is you that will get fined and worse not your accountant.
              Why bother with details like this.

To be honest, I tend to do the same thing. At the end of the year, I then work out with my accountant what should have been salary and then dividend. If I've gone over, then it's a loan. If I've gone further than that we sort something else out.

NL - Honestly. That's why I pay my accountant. To sort this stuff out for me. (Obviously I do keep a fairly good rough estimate of where I am)
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

For the record I'm with one of the main firms that have a presence on this site.

They're pretty cheap and I guess that's where the problem lies. In the past I paid double the amount & I just used to bung my account all my receipts at the end of the year and he would draw up a divi based on what I'd taken out.

Hopefully a phone call tomorrow morning will sort things out.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  For the record I'm with one of the main firms that have a presence on this site.

They're pretty cheap and I guess that's where the problem lies.
                  No. Lets be clear you ****ed up and want them to help correct it. Why should they help you effectively break the law. If you're not clever enough to work out what money is entering / leaving your account then that is your problem not theirs. Price has nothing to do with it.

Good luck at your next inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    No. Lets be clear you ****ed up and want them to help correct it. Why should they help you effectively break the law. If you're not clever enough to work out what money is entering / leaving your account then that is your problem not theirs. Price has nothing to do with it.

Good luck at your next inspection.
                    There was always enough money in the account to cover what I had paid myself. The issue is that a dividend was never declared in the given financial year.

Now it looks like I'm right in the sh1t.

Comment

Working...
                    X