• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and Flat rate VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and Flat rate VAT

Are you a contractor? are you using the FLAT rate VAT scheme?

If not why?
    If so why?
    Yes
    78.26%
    No
    8.70%
    Need more info
    13.04%

I'm in my 13th month with my current company, have had a few months of that not working for family reasons, and yet I've clocked up about £2500 profit (before Corporation tax) from flat rate scheme. Enough to pay my accountant for nearly three years. So running my company is effectively cheaper than free.

Comment

Yes, for the typical one man band contractor I think you'd nuts to not be on the FRS.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

thanks for the information. How many others agree?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          I'm in my 13th month with my current company, have had a few months of that not working for family reasons, and yet I've clocked up about £2500 profit (before Corporation tax) from flat rate scheme. Enough to pay my accountant for nearly three years. So running my company is effectively cheaper than free.
          do you mean that by being on the flat rate scheme you kept £2500 back compared to what you would have given them if you were not on the flat rate?

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by jchiver View Post
            thanks for the information. How many others agree?
            If you don't have loads of hotel bills or buy loads of non-zero rated stock then you should be on the flat rate scheme.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Question: haven't signed up yet as starting out and wanted to buy a few bits. Laptop etc.

For my new contract there'll be a lot if travel. Which they have said can be claimed 'as per expenses policy'
              Does that mean it is still worthwhile for me to join the FRS?

Comment

You have to work it out. I didn't join the FRS for my first year or so because of lots of commuting, and when I did it only saved me about £10 per month. Better than a kick in the head, but it's not going to make you rich. Of course that was when petrol was still a barmy 80p per litre; on today's prices I'd have been better off outside FRS.

Remember there's no VAT on train travel.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post
                  For my new contract there'll be a lot if travel. Which they have said can be claimed 'as per expenses policy'
                  It depends how the expenses system works but probably you will incur these travelling expenses and the client will pay them for you and take the VAT receipts so there's no VAT for you to reclaim anyway.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post
                    Question: haven't signed up yet as starting out and wanted to buy a few bits. Laptop etc.

As Vectraman said you have to work it out yourself as if your travel involves driving through tolls there may be VAT on them.

HMRC has produced this that gives you a guide to the rates and links you to various booklets http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rat...services.htm#6

Plus you can claim the VAT on employee subsistence - HM Revenue & Customs: Travel and subsistence: when you can reclaim VAT Though you need to be careful to ensure it's employee subsistence not client entertainment.

BTW there is legally a difference between exempt and zero rated VAT products/services.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X