• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Error on previous company accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error on previous company accounts

I have discovered a small error on my previous company account of around £30. Is it important to correct this with HMRC as it is a small amount? If so, is this likely to trigger them to have a closer look at my company?

Originally posted by the4thamigo_uk View Post
    I have discovered a small error on my previous company account of around £30. Is it important to correct this with HMRC as it is a small amount? If so, is this likely to trigger them to have a closer look at my company?
    £30 error in paperwork or £30 error in your pocket?

Either way personally I just wouldn't bother.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't fret at a £30 error, if memory serves HMRC VAT don't care much about ~£1k errors (possibly more) and say to correct them on the next return. On an annual return for a defunct company I doubt they would give 2 hoots unless there's something vastly more significant.

Comment

Originally posted by the4thamigo_uk View Post
        £30 !!! I wish I could get that accurate.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just adjust it in the current year. Unless you have a turnover of £100 then it's unlikely to be material in the grand scheme of things.

The VAT man will allow errors up to £10,000 to be corrected on future returns, so again just adjust on the next return if necessary.

Paragraph 4.2: HM Revenue & Customs
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
          X