• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wanting to set objectives/appraisal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice - fits with what I had been thinking.

Contract is due up in 2 months and I'm not that keen on renewing if offered so will try and put it off till the end of contract while I look for something else. The warchest is still being built up so don't want walk away unless I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
      Thanks for the advice - fits with what I had been thinking.

Contract is due up in 2 months and I'm not that keen on renewing if offered so will try and put it off till the end of contract while I look for something else. The warchest is still being built up so don't want walk away unless I have to.
      Is it just you or everyone including other contractors? If you're up in 2 months maybe they're trying to appraise whether to extend or not? Can't imagine why they want to set objectives with 2 months to go..
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Suggest that you sit down with them to review the fit between the services you provide and their business requirements. You would like to cover both the past and ongoing requirements so you can continue to offer value for money.

Comment

Be up front and honest, just tell them that being part of an appraisal will put you in big trouble with the taxman because you are outside IR35, very sorry but you just can't do that, it would mean changing the contract, bureacratic nightmare etc etc.

Getting caught in IR35 is expensive, you don't want to go there.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I thought I would add this experience to the collective, on my current contract the perm's have just been through a professional review / appraisal process, Quite interestingly all the contractors on the team ended up with letters of commendation. any one else had this before?

Comment

Excellent thread.

Relevent to me and I didn't even realise.

I recently moved into a different team and they spoke of objectives etc.

I think we are talking about specific work deliverables that we are agreeing, however, this thread has certainly opened the eyes and I need to make sure they understand the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                Why Dragonfly got caught by IR35 :: Contractor UK
                This should be mandatory reading for all contractors - or better still, the actual judgement itself in full.

It's amazing how many viewpoints and perceptions are taken as fact despite this judgement. Two examples:-
                * Succession of renewals have zero effect on IR35 status
                * Concurrent contracts pretty much put you outside

In the judgement, both of these long accepted opinions were blown apart.

Comment

It's for everyone - Even if it is only objective setting I'm wary as they have team objectives and department objectives, which sound a little too much like part and parcel of organisation for comfort. I think a full and frank conversation with the clientco manager is coming.

Comment

Most ClientCo managers can be reasonable if you are up-front. In most cases they don't realise the implications of what they are suggesting. If they can see that it makes them more attractive as a client for them to provide a safer tax environment, most will be happy to comply.

However, you can get some awkward (i.e. envious) buggers who just won't budge. "Your tax affairs are not my problem" is what my first client manager said when I wanted to operate differently.

And if they are being awkward/envious rather than naive, be very, very careful - even if they do back down on that issue. Bear in mind that at any point in the future, if they give a statement to HMRC saying that they considered you to be a disguised employee, you're royally shafted - as Dragonfly was when the AA manager landed him in the tulip.

Comment

Working...
                    X