• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Car

I have a limited company and both myself and my wife are employees. My wife is not a 'disguised' employee as she genuinly does work through the company generating fees.

As I do a high mileage I have always purchased my own car and thus claimed the 40/25p mileage back which has proved worth doing.

However my wife does not travel far and claims almost no expenses as she only drives to local clients once a week. She probably does less than 50 business miles per month.

We both get paid the minimum wage which I think equates to just under £800 per month. Then we pay divi's every 3 months or so.

After all that rambling (just trying to give you a background to our situation) my question is that would it be ok for my wife to lease a car through the company. Are there any financial downsides to this? The car would mainly be used as a mummy truck with only about 20% business use.

Originally posted by jason986
    I have a limited company and both myself and my wife are employees. My wife is not a 'disguised' employee as she genuinly does work through the company generating fees.

As I do a high mileage I have always purchased my own car and thus claimed the 40/25p mileage back which has proved worth doing.

However my wife does not travel far and claims almost no expenses as she only drives to local clients once a week. She probably does less than 50 business miles per month.

We both get paid the minimum wage which I think equates to just under £800 per month. Then we pay divi's every 3 months or so.

After all that rambling (just trying to give you a background to our situation) my question is that would it be ok for my wife to lease a car through the company. Are there any financial downsides to this? The car would mainly be used as a mummy truck with only about 20% business use.

The downside is the company car tax you pay. You'll find it on the IR website.

Comment

Company car

And the Class 1a National Insurance on the benefit in kind.

Ask your accountant to do a comparison of the costs/savings.

Comment

what if its a toyota prius?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
          what if its a toyota prius?

Everybody laughs ??

There was a good scam involving low emissions, but I expect it's been closed down now.

You could get 100% capital allowances in Y1. So claim the CA and then sell the vehicle to yourself (at a nominal but justifiable price) . You could then sell it on for > the value required to buy another one after allowing for the capital allowance. Bingo, taxman finances all the depreciation.

Comment

Working...
          X