• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Company Car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company Car"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    what if its a toyota prius?

Everybody laughs ??

There was a good scam involving low emissions, but I expect it's been closed down now.

You could get 100% capital allowances in Y1. So claim the CA and then sell the vehicle to yourself (at a nominal but justifiable price) . You could then sell it on for > the value required to buy another one after allowing for the capital allowance. Bingo, taxman finances all the depreciation.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    what if its a toyota prius?

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Company car

And the Class 1a National Insurance on the benefit in kind.

Ask your accountant to do a comparison of the costs/savings.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by jason986
    I have a limited company and both myself and my wife are employees. My wife is not a 'disguised' employee as she genuinly does work through the company generating fees.

As I do a high mileage I have always purchased my own car and thus claimed the 40/25p mileage back which has proved worth doing.

However my wife does not travel far and claims almost no expenses as she only drives to local clients once a week. She probably does less than 50 business miles per month.

We both get paid the minimum wage which I think equates to just under £800 per month. Then we pay divi's every 3 months or so.

After all that rambling (just trying to give you a background to our situation) my question is that would it be ok for my wife to lease a car through the company. Are there any financial downsides to this? The car would mainly be used as a mummy truck with only about 20% business use.

The downside is the company car tax you pay. You'll find it on the IR website.

Leave a comment:

• jason986
    started a topic Company Car

Company Car

I have a limited company and both myself and my wife are employees. My wife is not a 'disguised' employee as she genuinly does work through the company generating fees.

As I do a high mileage I have always purchased my own car and thus claimed the 40/25p mileage back which has proved worth doing.

However my wife does not travel far and claims almost no expenses as she only drives to local clients once a week. She probably does less than 50 business miles per month.

We both get paid the minimum wage which I think equates to just under £800 per month. Then we pay divi's every 3 months or so.

After all that rambling (just trying to give you a background to our situation) my question is that would it be ok for my wife to lease a car through the company. Are there any financial downsides to this? The car would mainly be used as a mummy truck with only about 20% business use.

Working...
X