• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 months contract notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 months contract notice period

What is the typical notice period for a 3 months contract?
    Reviewing my new contract today, there is a clause that I need to give 1 month notice, but the client only needs to give me a week's notice.

To me, it doesn't sound fair, but agency insists that it how the end-client does it, and no one else had problem before.

Is that common?

Originally posted by panadol View Post
    Reviewing my new contract today, there is a clause that I need to give 1 month notice, but the client only needs to give me a week's notice.

To me, it doesn't sound fair, but agency insists that it how the end-client does it, and no one else had problem before.

Is that common?
    It's not uncommon these days that you can't give notice at all! Unequal notice periods (if you can even give notice) are very much the norm.

As to it never being questioned before that's typical agent bollocks, they usually say that.

Comment

Yeah not being able to serve notice is getting more and more common these days... I guess it's to stop people from clearing off the second they find something better........

Comment

Go to the search box and type "notice period" or some such combination and I'm sure you will find a load of discussions about this very topic. People will give you a lot more respect here if you don't ask questions that have been asked so many times before.

agency insists that it how the end-client does it, and no one else had problem before. Is that common?

Yeah, they always come out with tulip like that. It's a standard agency line that they use on the new boys and girls.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Is that common?
          It is not fair cause people get contracts and then decide to not bother turning up on the first day cause the found something better so the notice periods for the rest of the decent guys gets more and more loaded against us. HTH
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No such thing - there is no "typical" in contract negotiations. Anywhere from no notice down to 1 day.

Life isn't fair, and nor is business. You have three choices - accept, negotiate, walk away.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

agency insists that it how the end-client does it
              Yes the client probably does always have a weeks notice but I would not be surprised agencies wanting a month on your side it means there is more of a chance they will get all the money for the contract as it is harder for you to leave and therefore will stick with it even if you don't maybe want to.

I would try and get a week to match the client but to be honest for me when negotiating a notice period I'm never sure what to give as a reason when they ask 'why' do you want it to be a week?'.

Rate, I'm ok negotiating, notice period I'm rubbish. I would love to know what people say.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                I would try and get a week to match the client but to be honest for me when negotiating a notice period I'm never sure what to give as a reason when they ask 'why' do you want it to be a week?'.

Rate, I'm ok negotiating, notice period I'm rubbish. I would love to know what people say.
                "My legal advice is that the notice periods should be reciprocal"

"Having a short notice period is better for my IR35 status - if I have to take a higher risk, then I'll need to rethink the rate to accommodate that"
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

notice periods don't mean jack, its a three month contract with a month notice so if you have worked 9 weeks with 3 to go and you want to leave does that mean you have to work a week past your end date.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    notice periods don't mean jack, its a three month contract with a month notice so if you have worked 9 weeks with 3 to go and you want to leave does that mean you have to work a week past your end date.
                    I think his point is that he wants to jump at every other opportunity than the one he is in without penalty.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X