• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charging VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging VAT

So it's not exactly contracting but regarding my plan B and I know i'll get the answers here.

I want to know if charging VAT to the customer affects how they percieve the price.

Plan B sells a product to a retailer, who in turn sells that to a consumer.

Scenario A) - Plan B registered for VAT.

So, they, the retailer, charges VAT to the customer (if of course they are VAT registered, but unlikely (I think) that a retailer wouldn't be). Therefore a point of sale price of £200 + 20% (£240) is acheived by the retailer.

If Plan B is registered for VAT, then I sell the product at £150 + 20% (£180) to the retailer.

The retailer pays a VAT bill at the rate of VAT in - VAT out (£40-£30).

Retailer makes a profit (£60 margin - £10 VAT due) = £50.

Scenario B) - Plan B not registered for VAT.

Sale price is £200 + 20% (£240).

I'm not registered for VAT, I sell the product for £150 to the retailer.

The retailer pays a VAT bill at the rate of VAT in - VAT out (£40-£0).

Retailer makes a profit (£90 margin - £40 VAT due) = £50.

I think i've just worked out by writing this that it doesn't matter, but would be happy for someone to confirm my thoughts are correct.

You are right - it doesn't matter VAT has no effect on profit and loss; VAT that's charged on sales is payable to HMR&C, VAT that is payable on purchases is deducted from this figure. Either way VAT is a tax and should never be included when you are trying to work out profits.

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
      So it's not exactly contracting but regarding my plan B and I know i'll get the answers here.

I want to know if charging VAT to the customer affects how they percieve the price.

Plan B sells a product to a retailer, who in turn sells that to a consumer.

Scenario A) - Plan B registered for VAT.

So, they, the retailer, charges VAT to the customer (if of course they are VAT registered, but unlikely (I think) that a retailer wouldn't be). Therefore a point of sale price of £200 + 20% (£240) is acheived by the retailer.

If Plan B is registered for VAT, then I sell the product at £150 + 20% (£180) to the retailer.

The retailer pays a VAT bill at the rate of VAT in - VAT out (£40-£30).

Retailer makes a profit (£60 margin - £10 VAT due) = £50.

Scenario B) - Plan B not registered for VAT.

Sale price is £200 + 20% (£240).

I'm not registered for VAT, I sell the product for £150 to the retailer.

The retailer pays a VAT bill at the rate of VAT in - VAT out (£40-£0).

Retailer makes a profit (£90 margin - £40 VAT due) = £50.

I think i've just worked out by writing this that it doesn't matter, but would be happy for someone to confirm my thoughts are correct.
      If you are selling to a retailer, then ultimately it makes no difference because they will claim the VAT back (assuming they are large enough to be registered).

If you are selling to either (a) a company that is not registered for VAT, or (b) to the public, then it will make a difference. You need to then decide whether you absorb some / all of the VAT yourself or whether you pass on the VAT to the client. For the last increase, my wife (who is not registered) decided to absorb the cost herself and cut her margin accordingly.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          You are right - it doesn't matter VAT has no effect on profit and loss; VAT that's charged on sales is payable to HMR&C, VAT that is payable on purchases is deducted from this figure. Either way VAT is a tax and should never be included when you are trying to work out profits.

HTH
          Actually that's not an accurate statement. In the OP's case he is not selling to the end consumer, but as a retailer VAT does affect your profitability. (I am assume VAT Threshold at 60k, can't remember exact amount)

Scenario A. You are Not Vat Registered. You sell direct to the consumer, have a turnover of £60000. Your cost of sales is £30000 exc vat, so £36000 including. As you are not VAT registered you cannot claim back the £6000 in VAT. Bus as you don't pay vat on the £60k, it means you don't have to pay £10k out. Your P/L is £24000 for the year

Scenario B. You are Vat Registered. You sell direct to the consumer, have a turnover of £60000. Your cost of sales is £30000 exc vat, so £36000 including. As you are VAT registered you have to pay £10k on your sales, but you can claim back the VAT. Hence your P/L is £20000 for the year.

In this case the difference between VAT registered and non registered is worth £4k.

So if you have a small online business, under the theshold, then it would be better to be non VAT registered, because your retail price of £49.99 (for example) which customers would expect to pay regardless of your VAT status is more profitable for you as a retailer.

You could of course reduce your margin to grow your sales, at which point you'd go over the VAT limit and have to register anyway.

I would always recommend someone starting out to wait until they hit threshold before registering for VAT as it's worth a few extra K.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you're selling to business, then it should make no difference. But of course the mind doesn't always work logically so if you and a competitor both charge the same but your site shows the inclusive rate and theirs the exclusive, people might perceive yours as a bigger number. So show your prices without VAT.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              If you're selling to business, then it should make no difference. But of course the mind doesn't always work logically so if you and a competitor both charge the same but your site shows the inclusive rate and theirs the exclusive, people might perceive yours as a bigger number. So show your prices without VAT.
              I am not sure you can do that doogh; I think if your business is VAT registered you are obliged to display the price including VAT
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                I am not sure you can do that doogh; I think if your business is VAT registered you are obliged to display the price including VAT
                Can you display an ex-VAT price to try and appear cheaper and then add VAT on later? If you are selling to a consumer then it does have to include VAT but to a business it doesn't. If in doubt, I would say just display both prices.

Displaying prices | Business Link
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X