• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copyrighting an Excel based tool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyrighting an Excel based tool

Question:

I've created a tool, using MS Excel to allow the user to collect information and produce a report based on that information. It is potentially useful to a number of organisations. Does anyone know if it is possible to copyright such a spreadsheet based tool and if so, how to go about it?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Question:

I've created a tool, using MS Excel to allow the user to collect information and produce a report based on that information. It is potentially useful to a number of organisations. Does anyone know if it is possible to copyright such a spreadsheet based tool and if so, how to go about it?
    Copyright is automatically created for any creative work. You don't need to do anything to register it or anything like that.

Here's my top tip on how to prove you did it first, though.

- Burn the code onto a CD / memory stick / DVD / floppy disk
    - Package the media up in an envelope / box, so that it is obvious whether it has been opened or not
    - Post the package to yourself. Send it recorded delivery.
    - Do not open the package when it arrives.

If there is ever a case where someone claims that they did it first, you now have a package that hasn't been opened, which contains the code. You also have independent verification from the Post Office of when it was sent and when it was delivered. Thereby, you can easily prove the date when you created the code.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hold up...

Do you want to copyright the ability to automatically create a report on said data, or the specific, unique way you are doing it?
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Hold up...

Do you want to copyright the ability to automatically create a report on said data, or the specific, unique way you are doing it?
        It's irrelevant. The copyright is in the Excel tool - that's the creative work.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

My point is that you cannot copyright some generic method of creating a report from a data source.

If the report requires some very unique code/method then the OP can copyright that specific thing.

Comment

My point is that you cannot copyright some generic method of creating a report from a data source.

If the report requires some very unique code/method then the OP can copyright that specific thing.
            Copyright applies to...
            Originally posted by Intellectual Property Office
            Original works - Most works must be original to have copyright protection.

Written work including software and databases - Software and databases can be protected as written work.
            In this case, it's a written work, which is original - therefore copyright would last for life + 70 years.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Im going to guess, sounds like the OP has created a Macro/Add-in that collates data from an organizations assets/infrastructure na dproduces reports.

So you can copyright that as an application(ie can't blatantly copy it)

But it wouldn't stop someone else writing something similar.

I have an Excel reporting tool that allows me to write SQL against datasources and produce pivot tables, charts and extracts, plus also have them scheduled to run (it's an Excel Crystal Reports). It's my idea, and the exact processes/look n feel could be considered to be copyrighted but others could do it differently.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

OK OK, so if a report has never, ever, been created before from the information that the OP is referring to, then it is original and can be copyrighted. If previous reports exist but the OP has created a special way to do it then only that particular method is original and can be copyrighted. Agree?

Another point for the OP to consider is that if said report has been created whist at a client and under contract, he should check his contract for any clauses around who the intellectual property will belong to.

Comment

OK OK, so if a report has never, ever, been created before from the information that the OP is referring to, then it is original and can be copyrighted. If previous reports exist but the OP has created a special way to do it then only that particular method is original and can be copyrighted. Agree?
                  As I read the original question, Dave has created a macro / series of macros which translate different data sets to produce a report. The copyright exists in the software that he has created - that's the original work.

If the software that Dave has produced to generate the report is not original, then he can't claim copyright - e.g. if all he has done is package together a load of existing scripts written by other people, then he can't claim copyright in the package because there isn't an original work.

If the software that Dave has produced to generate the report is not original, then he can't claim copyright - e.g. if all he has done is package together a load of existing scripts written by Dave, then he can claim copyright in the package as well as the original scripts .

If the software takes common manual tasks and turns them into an automated routine, then there is still original work in the software that has been written.

If the software is completely original then there is no doubt.

Another point for the OP to consider is that if said report has been created whist at a client and under contract, he should check his contract for any clauses around who the intellectual property will belong to.
                  Agreed. Even if anyone else owns the copyright, then in the UK you have the moral right to be identified as the author, though, if you wish.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

It could also be that Dave has just created a simple macro and a pivot table and is completely over stating his solution. At which point I can offer Excel/VBA training for £600 per day.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X