• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Profits location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps you feel as though your company income isn't high enough to justify an accountant. Or maybe there is another reason. I don't know.

In any case, you are doing this the wrong way around. I have met contractors who keep their own books, but only after having used an accountant for several years prior, i.e. to learn the ropes.

An accountant is also invaluable on keeping up to date on latest developments in tax and law. For example, the shifting of tax brackets expected from April. This will impact how much dividend you can pay without creeping into the 40% tax bracket.

And expenses! There are always expenses - books, mobile phone, internet, reclaiming your insurance cost, selling your laptop to the company etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      So you don't put ANY expenses through the company?

None at all at the minute. My commute is a walk, my lunch is eating at home. This is why it appeared as though an accountant might have been overkill. However, I've seen a company that will take care of everything for £50 a month which seems like it might be the best idea.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
        Why are you asking these questions because you don’t appear to be listening to the good advice from previous posters?
        But listening to what he is saying, he is deducting 21% off everything! And then paying below NI limit wages and the rest of dividends.

So he's actually paying more tax than he needs to, as the 21% would not be payable on his wage or any expenses (if any existed). So although it sounds simplistic, and not "proper" accounts, I doubt he is going to get into any trouble for running very basic accounts which give HMRC more tax! I know our tax system is twisted, but come on!

Btw, when people say that "the money belongs to the Company", I always think, "Yes, but the Company belongs to me!"

I would agree that you should get an accountant, but not to make HMRC happy, but to pay them less tax and make you happy. Increase your wage to £476.25 a month and stop paying 21% on it, and register for flat rate VAT too, that makes more money for me than my accountant costs!

Comment

Originally posted by PlazaCommerce View Post
          None at all at the minute. My commute is a walk, my lunch is eating at home. This is why it appeared as though an accountant might have been overkill.
          You're not looking nearly hard enough.

Besides your also doing yourself out of a state pension and not keeping your NI upto date.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            You're not looking nearly hard enough.

Besides your also doing yourself out of a state pension and not keeping your NI upto date.
            Exactly.

(welcome back BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              erm...please explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                erm...please explain?
                You need 30 qualifying years in order to get a full state pension, and in order for a year to qualify you need earnings of at least £5,044.

Qualifying for a basic State Pension : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

thanks..thought so.
                  OP is paying himself 5200 a year (100 a week)
                  I love it when someone on the internet is wrong
                  I'll now smugly go and make a coffee.

P.S. Though he does say "below the NI threshold" which makes me think OP is a tad confused.

Before I got on my high horse about folk on here always saying "ask your account" or "get an accountant"......to the OP....I suggest you get an accountant

Comment

You would need a PAYE scheme in place if you're paying that level of wages - else the fact that you're paying yourself enough to qualify for NI won't be registered with HMRC at all, so it won't qualify!
                    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

ah right....I see where the other chap was coming from. Thanks sorry mr sock

Comment

Working...
                      X