• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=northernladuk;1268665]You are missing what most people do when they talk about company money. If you buy it with COMPANY money it belongs to the COMPANY. If you buy it with YOUR money it belongs to YOU. You cannot buy a flat for YOU with COMPANY money.

QUOTE]

Northernladuk - I've just started browsing the forum again after a while away and have seen numerous posts to which you have replied.

Do you know that you come across as a total bell-end in most of your posts? I'm just letting you know, as if it was me I'd want to know.

It appears that you've only been around a year or so, but have adopted the manner and tone of all the posters from yesteryear who made this forum such a miserable place to be, with all the grindingly boring, patronisign, rent-a-gobs that used to frequent it (and perhaps still do).

Ah well - I can always vote with my feet - it's the people I leave behind that I feel sorry for.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dante;1269437]
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are missing what most people do when they talk about company money. If you buy it with COMPANY money it belongs to the COMPANY. If you buy it with YOUR money it belongs to YOU. You cannot buy a flat for YOU with COMPANY money.

QUOTE]

Northernladuk - I've just started browsing the forum again after a while away and have seen numerous posts to which you have replied.

Do you know that you come across as a total bell-end in most of your posts? I'm just letting you know, as if it was me I'd want to know.

It appears that you've only been around a year or so, but have adopted the manner and tone of all the posters from yesteryear who made this forum such a miserable place to be, with all the grindingly boring, patronisign, rent-a-gobs that used to frequent it (and perhaps still do).

Ah well - I can always vote with my feet - it's the people I leave behind that I feel sorry for.
      Yep I am aware. Thank you for taking the time to feedback and don't let the door smack you on the ass on the way out.

I did think this was one of my more reserved posts to be honest. The capitals was to make the distinction. If you hang around enough one of the most common mistakes people make when suggesting investment ideas is to mix up the difference between company money and personal money which is a pretty key point.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

SOunds like one for the accountant then. Was just wondering if any posters here had actually done this themselves..

Thanks for replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Investment property generally insn't depreciated and capital allowances would be minimal.

There are NO capital allowances on investment. More so, you do not get capital allowances on dwellings (residential property) at all.
          Last edited by rmmc; 1 February 2011, 20:42. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by rmmc View Post
            There are NO capital allowances on investment. More so, you do not get capital allowances on dwellings (residential property) at all.
            The reason I said minimal rather than none was because we don't know the full circumstances or intentions of the poster. There are situations when capital allowances can be claimed, but they are rare and small - hence my wording 'minimal'.

Tax on furnished holiday lettings : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

I belive I also mentioned that this is a topic for proper discussion with an accountant so that the full facts can be gathered as this subject naturally disgresses into other possibilities.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Can I just revive this old thread?

I'm in the situation now where I'd like to buy a flat for 135k cash, to live in full time.

Most of money is in the limited, so I'm looking at a dividend for almost the full amount on April 7th.

Does anyone have any links that will help me decide whether I'm best to do this via the company or personally?

It seems to me that buying in the company might be more expensive and more hassle over the long term, but that may be preferable to withdrawing 95k cash at 40% tax.

If I go via the company, the elements I think I need to be aware of are:

1) Benefit in kind of around £9k per year to me in rent. How do I calculate how much tax would I pay on this annually? This hardly credible source suggests 20%, so around £1800 tax to pay per year. That doesn't sound so bad - it would take me over 15 years to pay back the amount I'm going to be paying on my self assessment bill.

1a) I believe there is an option to pay rent into the company, reducing BIK exposure, but I believe this rent would then be 20% taxed and 20% VAT'd, making this much the worse option.

2) How much would the purchase reduce my corporation tax by out after this purchase? It sounds like it would be immaterial from the discussion above.

3) If it's in the limited name, would things like council tax and maintenance become expensible to the company?

I don't plan on selling or closing the company for a long while.

Edit - I assume the recent 15% stamp duty thing is just for houses over 2 million?
              Last edited by Kanye; 27 March 2012, 16:09.

Comment

Is this post for real????

Buy your home with your money. End of..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Is this post for real????

Buy your home with your money. End of..
                  Of course it's for real.

I'm just looking for the most tax advantageous way of doing things.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the choice is spending £30k in tax in January 2014 or £1800/yr BIK for the foreseeable. Sounds sensible on paper.

I suspect I am missing something, but if that's not worth a forum post to you then you have too much money my friend.
                  Last edited by Kanye; 27 March 2012, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                    Of course it's for real.

I'm just looking for the most tax advantageous way of doing things.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the choice is spending £30k in tax in January 2014 or £1800/yr BIK for the foreseeable. Sounds sensible on paper.

I suspect I am missing something, but if that's not worth a forum post to you then you have too much money my friend.
                    Indeed, just like everyone else that thought this and tried a post, not hard to find. And if you were serious you should be talking to an accountant not a set of randoms on a board. Tax efficient or not (as it seems) I do not want to be taxed on the profit of my house as it rises in the next 10 years.

I don't have too much money but I am willing to do some basic research and ask the correct people if I am dealing with my home.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ch-office.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ur-ltd-co.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html

and there is always google results such as...

http://www.ir35calc.co.uk/property_i...ntractors.aspx
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 March 2012, 17:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                      Can I just revive this old thread?

I'm in the situation now where I'd like to buy a flat for 135k cash, to live in full time.

Most of money is in the limited, so I'm looking at a dividend for almost the full amount on April 7th.

Does anyone have any links that will help me decide whether I'm best to do this via the company or personally?

It seems to me that buying in the company might be more expensive and more hassle over the long term, but that may be preferable to withdrawing 95k cash at 40% tax.

If I go via the company, the elements I think I need to be aware of are:

1) Benefit in kind of around £9k per year to me in rent. How do I calculate how much tax would I pay on this annually? This hardly credible source suggests 20%, so around £1800 tax to pay per year. That doesn't sound so bad - it would take me over 15 years to pay back the amount I'm going to be paying on my self assessment bill.

1a) I believe there is an option to pay rent into the company, reducing BIK exposure, but I believe this rent would then be 20% taxed and 20% VAT'd, making this much the worse option.

2) How much would the purchase reduce my corporation tax by out after this purchase? It sounds like it would be immaterial from the discussion above.

3) If it's in the limited name, would things like council tax and maintenance become expensible to the company?

I don't plan on selling or closing the company for a long while.

Edit - I assume the recent 15% stamp duty thing is just for houses over 2 million?
                      Owning via the company is generally not the right thing - though it can be in some circumstances. The taxcafe guide is pretty good.

An alternative you may not have considered - depending upon how much income you need to live might be to take a smallish mortgage and pay the extra dividends over a number of years to try and keep in basic tax band. You could also consider offsetting company funds against the mortgage. Search for some post on that subject by THEPUMA.

Comment

Working...
                      X