• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans from EBTs and other Trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    How Ian?

I'm sure that we're all keen to hear your answer...
    Well, sending a cheque to hmrc for the disputed amount would be one wayof resolving it.

Comment

One day quick fix

You can always attempt this route, as reported in the Daily Telegraph

Got a dispute with the taxman? Try the one day quick fix - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by walterscott View Post

I was hoping it was going to be a cage fight in Bridgwater service Travelodge car park.

Comment

Originally posted by walterscott View Post

Yeah right, and the mediator wouldn't also be an HMRC inspector, would they?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
            I think HMRC are delusional if they think they are going to recoup much money from this illegal tax; and definitely not as much as taxpayers money they're spending in pursuing it so far. They really need to take heed of this reality and do the right thing for once.
            This is from NTRT thread but equally applies here
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
              This is from NTRT thread but equally applies here
              If it's illegal, then don't pay, put the money offshore and what can they do? They won't win in court.

Comment

Good idea! If they win they won't get any money because we haven't got it. If the lose they won't get any money either.
                Why don't they save a load of expenses and reach a compromise.
                Actually, that's far too sensible - it'll never happen.
                Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Good idea! If they win they won't get any money because we haven't got it. If the lose they won't get any money either.
                  How can they win if it's an illegal tax?

Comment

It's obvious that HMRC chooses to bankrupt some people to make sure there are no illusions as to what will happen. They effectively have to do it, even though they don't money. Obviously they are not stupid and can see that the message does not get through, so that's why they will start asking to pay up the money to make sure strategies like that won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It's obvious that HMRC chooses to bankrupt some people to make sure there are no illusions as to what will happen. They effectively have to do it, even though they don't money. Obviously they are not stupid and can see that the message does not get through, so that's why they will start asking to pay up the money to make sure strategies like that won't work.
                      You are exactly right - HMRC will often use a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to prove a point. Many years back they went after a vicar - the monies put on the church plate at Easter were always kept by the vicar as a tradition - HMRC decided they constituted earnings and therefore should be taxed - they pursued the case and won; it wasn't the tax on a few quid that they were concerned about, it was the opportunity to set a precedent.
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X