• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans from EBTs and other Trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now here's some original thinking

www.contracta. im/services/entry/contractor_benefit_trust/

The CBT Scheme is the first of its kind and the only current compliant solution that will enable you to retain up to 85% of your gross income. [Er, surely gross income is the sum of the monthly retainers, isn't the rest a loan? It does say so!]

How the structure works?
    You will be engaged as a self-employed contractor and will agree to supply your services to Contracta
    Contracta will make an onward supply of your services to its clients. In exchange, you will receive a set monthly retainer which you will have to pay NIC and tax on
    Additional income arising will be retained by Contracta and will be paid to a Contractor Trust
    You and your family may apply to the Trust for loans from time to time

Surely they didn't copy this arrangement from someone else...
    Last edited by cojak; 22 March 2011, 12:50. Reason: To prevent traffic spike from CUK.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Re. contracta.im

I like the disclaimer in small print at the bottom.

Disclaimer: It is possible that the Contracta Solutions structure may be challenged by HMRC in the future or retrospective legislation may be introduced

Comment

If you're self employed, how do you intend getting an agency to deal with you? Retaining 85% of zero income doesn't seem like too good an idea to me...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          If you're self employed, how do you intend getting an agency to deal with you? Retaining 85% of zero income doesn't seem like too good an idea to me...
          We were all registered self-employed on the DTA (bn66) scheme, and this was never a problem. It was a long time ago but, as I recall, our services were provided to agencies through a UK Ltd company. The UK company invoiced the agencies. Does that make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            We were all registered self-employed on the DTA (bn66) scheme, and this was never a problem. It was a long time ago but, as I recall, our services were provided to agencies through a UK Ltd company. The UK company invoiced the agencies. Does that make any sense?
            One of my reasons for leaving Montp was because my Agency refused to renewal my contract whilst I stayed with them.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
              One of my reasons for leaving Montp was because my Agency refused to renewal my contract whilst I stayed with them.
              I know someone who had a similar problem but they were employed by one of these offshore schemes (not self-employed).

I think some agencies got nervous about anything exotic and made it policy to only deal with bog standard Ltd or umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I know someone who had a similar problem but they were employed by one of these offshore schemes (not self-employed).

I think some agencies got nervous about anything exotic and made it policy to only deal with bog standard Ltd or umbrella.
                Some agencies won't deal with anything offshore based at all. The self employed thing isn't a problem because as you correctly point out, they're not being invoiced by a self employed person, but by a limited company, which negates their liability for PAYE and NI.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                  Some agencies won't deal with anything offshore based at all. The self employed thing isn't a problem because as you correctly point out, they're not being invoiced by a self employed person, but by a limited company, which negates their liability for PAYE and NI.
                  So they're working for a UK company through an offshore company, invoicing another UK company for work done in the UK by a UK taxpayer and passing the monies received via the offshore company to another offshore company who sends some of it back to the original worker...

You can see why some might think this a slightly artificial approach
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    So they're working for a UK company through an offshore company, invoicing another UK company for work done in the UK by a UK taxpayer and passing the monies received via the offshore company to another offshore company who sends some of it back to the original worker...

You can see why some might think this a slightly artificial approach
                    We've done exactly that for thousands of contractors over several years with no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                      We've done exactly that for thousands of contractors over several years with no problems at all.
                      YET.

For your customers sakes I hope that HMRC don't come up with a method to attack their past approach to getting paid.

Comment

Working...
                      X