• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MA course fees - payable out of company? tax position?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA course fees - payable out of company? tax position?

Hi, just wondering about this question.

I have a Daughter who is doing an MA at part of the University of London, and she owes half her course fees still.

Question is, would there be any way my Limited company could pay this for her in a way that would get any sort of tax relief, or be a valid expense or charitable donation or sponsorship or something? As the university is a charity I thought there might be a way.

She is 23, so could be made an employee if that would help?

Just a thought, as she is struggling and I don't want he rnot to finish her course (although arguably she should have got her finances sorted before starting)

Any help/ideas/advice welcome

The questions to be asked is whether the course fees are wholly, exclusively and necessary for the purpose of the business? How will the company benefit financially from this?

For a donation to be allowable for tax purposes, it must be a recognised registered charity with HMRC.

Assuming that she has already paid for some fees herself and is not an employee already, the cost of the fees wouldn't be an allowable expense or deemed to be a bonus on succession of examination.

Comment

It's easy. Withdraw the money legitimately from you co via PAYE or dividends, pay what you owe, give it to her. Jobs done. No fear of getting caught defrauding HMRC and the threat of jail time completely gone.

Simples.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mmmm.

I've sponsored one of my nieces the last few years at Uni. I've done it as a payment through the LTD company for £1000 per year.

Not sure what the accountant did with it, but I just put it as sponsorship.

Don't know if that helps though.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Mmmm.

I've sponsored one of my nieces the last few years at Uni. I've done it as a payment through the LTD company for £1000 per year.

Not sure what the accountant did with it, but I just put it as sponsorship.

Don't know if that helps though.
          Could you find out why this is an allowable expense MF please?

Cheers.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There are specific rules for what counts as qualifying expenditure on sponsorship and donations here:

HM Revenue & Customs: Sponsoring a charity
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
              The questions to be asked is whether the course fees are wholly, exclusively and necessary for the purpose of the business?
              Does not have to be necessary. Just "Wholly and exclusively" for the business purpose of the business.

Comment

Originally posted by rmmc View Post
                Does not have to be necessary. Just "Wholly and exclusively" for the business purpose of the business.
                Why not?

Comment

How do companies who give bursaries handle this issue? I know typically the recipients are employees in some fashion, but that's not always the case.

If there's a straight and proper way to do this then I'd be tempted to exploit it myself as I've one undergraduate child at the moment and 2 others who will be before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
                    Why not?
                    Because the law does not contain the word "Necessary".

Comment

Working...
                    X