• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MA course fees - payable out of company? tax position?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmmc View Post
    Because the law does not contain the word "Necessary".
    Apologies all. I should have said "necessarily" as in the legislation written in ITEPA03 section 336 found here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/1/section/336 and in the guidance from HMRC found here Wholly & exclusively: statutory background: expenses rule for employees

Before I get told off again.....on the link Wholly & exclusively: statutory background: expenses rule for employees it does state office holder which is a director or company secretary.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
      Apologies all. I should have said "necessarily" as in the legislation written in ITEPA03 section 336 found here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/1/section/336 and in the guidance from HMRC found here Wholly & exclusively: statutory background: expenses rule for employees

Before I get told off again.....on the link Wholly & exclusively: statutory background: expenses rule for employees it does state office holder which is a director or company secretary.
      Are you sure that ITEPA-2003 applies to the limited company? Particularly Section 336?

Comment

This is in benefit of the op and any other user who may read this thread may think what they (Craig and I) were talking about.

As your daughter is not an employee so the fees paid is not allowable expense for the tax purpose. In order to get a tax relief, the business needs to satisfy the condition of “wholly & exclusively”. As she is not an employee this expense would fail the test.

You may sponsor her study or pay her scholarship again in order to get tax relief you need to satisfy the expense being “wholly & exclusively”.

Have a read on the following pages on sponsorship.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM42565.htm

Which states
        “…The type of evidence that may show a demonstrable lack of commerciality includes:
        • sponsoring a relative or close friend,…” so sponsorship may not be a qualifying expense

A donation to the college or university may not work. The close company have to satisfy the following condition in order for qualifying donation (i.e. tax deductible)
        -the payment is not made subject o any conditions as to repayment;
        -neither the company nor any connected person receives a benefits in excess as the limits set in consequence of making the payment and
        -the payment is not conditional on, or associated with, or part of an arrangement involving the acquisition of property by the charity (otherwise than by way of gift) from the company or connected person.

The maximum benefit that close companies or connected persons may receive is £250. (There are different rates based on donation but the cap it £250).

Coming back to last issue of “Necessary”. The business do not need to satisfy “necessary or necessarily” condition to be a qualifying expense.

However, “Necessary or necessarily” have to be satisfied by the employees when they claims an expense they incurred in course of performing thier duties and wish to claim against their income. That is S336 of Income Tax (Earning and Pensions) Act 2003.

There you go Craig, why I said it is not in legislation (ITA, ICTA or CTA).
        Last edited by rmmc; 21 January 2011, 12:56. Reason: Missed the link

Comment

Well done rmmc. Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
            Well done rmmc. Agreed
            I am glad that we agreed, otherwise OP would have thought we are mad discussing legislations

Comment

Oh well never mind

Thanks for all the replies people - it's a no then!

Comment

Working...
              X