• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is This Legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Legal?

Computer People (agency) claim they cannot change payment details midway through a contract. Eg. from brolly to limited and you must do this at extention or a new contract.

Strikes me as being a bit restrictive. Surely they just pay an invoice and it's nowt to do with them where it goes?

Sounds reasonable to me. Don't forget, it's not about payment details, it's about the contract which currently is between the agency and the brolly. You are asking for payment to be made to your (assuming new) Ltd which is a whole new set of contractual obligations...

Last edited by ratewhore; 17 February 2006, 12:39. Reason: minor error
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Check the contract to see if you have a right of assignment. If so then assign it to the brolly. If not you will have to neotiate that right with them. Or wait until there is a new contract.

Comment

The other good idea is not to contract through CP in the first place, of course.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
          Computer People (agency) claim they cannot change payment details midway through a contract. Eg. from brolly to limited and you must do this at extention or a new contract.

Strikes me as being a bit restrictive. Surely they just pay an invoice and it's nowt to do with them where it goes?
          Changing payment details is really the equivalent of changing who the contract is with in this case so fair enough they won't do it. They could probably do it but don't have to.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Very good point about the fact that the actual contract would be changing. Makes sense when I think about it. They could do it but if hundreds of people a week want to make changes then it's a big admin job for em. Might try to appeal to their good nature (arf!).

ta muchly.

Comment

yeah, last time I did this, the agency had to draw up a new contract for me, which they were happy to do - but I've used CP in the past and they have a reputation for being difficult and unhelpful when it comes to changing/using umbrella companies...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread5670.html

err, in fact to be fair, they have a repution for being difficult and unhelpful most of the time

Comment

To be fair to them they've always paid on time over the length of the contract and answered most questions pretty quickly. I think if you play by their rules all is grand but step out the box and they don't like it.

At the end of the day they called me when I'd just got back from travelling, with a job 7 miles from home paying just over market rate. They're very permie in their thinking though (got phone call "good news we're giving you a payrise!" "no you're not, I'm not perm. We can negotiate an increase in my charges for a supplied service though"). First time any agency have called to offer more money though

ta

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                  The other good idea is not to contract through CP in the first place, of course.
                  Seconded.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio

I'm with them at the moment and they have been excellent

Comment

Working...
                    X