• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation please (London)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks NorthernLadUK

I had already skimmed through your links and after contacting all the recommendations here I had whittled out a shortlist of Maslins, Gorilla Accounting and Meades Contractors

Was impressed with Meades after an a good IPSE presentation they gave on IR35 legislation last year.

There is already a lot of feedback on the first two but very little on Meades.
    Was just wondering if anyone had first had experiences with them one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by isf7boa View Post
      Thanks NorthernLadUK

I had already skimmed through your links and after contacting all the recommendations here I had whittled out a shortlist of Maslins, Gorilla Accounting and Meades Contractors

Was impressed with Meades after an a good IPSE presentation they gave on IR35 legislation last year.

There is already a lot of feedback on the first two but very little on Meades.
      Was just wondering if anyone had first had experiences with them one way or the other.
      Interesting. Never heard of Meades but you are doing the right thing by listening to them and making sure you are happy with their understanding and approach. So many people on here get caught out by going for a local bod or friend of a friend rather than going out and doing some research in to the company that is going to be accounting for 100's of K of company money.

Might be worth giving them a call as well. They may give good presentations but be difficult to talk to on the phone or something. See how you interact with them personally.

EDIT : Hmm. Just had a look at their website and they don't seem to mention much about contractors.. They certainly like their team building though
      EDIT 2 : Ask them where their company number, address and VAT reg are... doesn't appear to be on the front page.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2016, 16:11.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Interesting. Never heard of Meades but you are doing the right thing by listening to them and making sure you are happy with their understanding and approach. So many people on here get caught out by going for a local bod or friend of a friend rather than going out and doing some research in to the company that is going to be accounting for 100's of K of company money.

Might be worth giving them a call as well. They may give good presentations but be difficult to talk to on the phone or something. See how you interact with them personally.

EDIT : Hmm. Just had a look at their website and they don't seem to mention much about contractors.. They certainly like their team building though
        EDIT 2 : Ask them where their company number, address and VAT reg are... doesn't appear to be on the front page.
        It's all on their contactus page.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          It's all on their contactus page.
          So it is. Spent too much time looking at the Meet the Team page.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So it is. Spent too much time looking at the Meet the Team page.
            I automatically go for what I'm searching for.

Comment

Accountant recommendation please (London)

Maslins and Gorilla are good. Meades too probably but they appear to be Xero rather than Freeagent which may make things more expensive if that's important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                Maslins and Gorilla are good. Meades too probably but they appear to be Xero rather than Freeagent which may make things more expensive if that's important to you.
                No meet the team on the website Alan?
                Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2016, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                  You are suppose to be neutral about your competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You are suppose to be neutral about your competitors.
                    Not competitors. This is about London accountants, he isn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by softwaredever
                      Hi everyone,

I'm a ltd company IT contractor, and so far I've been doing my accounts myself as they're very simple (I know, I know...).

I'm now in need of some accountancy advice, but as things stand I don't want to formally 'get an accountant' (i.e. monthly) as I've already got everything set up the way I want it and most of the services they offer (bar the advice) I already have. What I'd like is a service where I can pay for the advice only on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why accountancy firms prefer to have you as a long-term client, but does anyone know of any who would offer this? I'm based in London but would look elsewhere if necessary.
                      depends on the type of advice really.
                      Tax advice?
                      Or more general?

Best bet is to pick up the Yellow Pages (remember that) and look under 'A' for accountancy. I reckon they'll charge you ~£1000 so you're not gonna save any money.
                      If you look at the multitude of accountancy threads on these boards what you'll find is that pretty much all use a monthly fee practise, or nobody.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X