• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much to spend on tech per year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much to spend on tech per year?

Just curious, how much do people spend on tech (through their Ltd) each year?

Assuming most of you are in IT, do you spend say X amount each year on tech. I am thinking laptops, desktops, software, etc.

So is a new laptop or PC each year OTT? I could make a good business case, as I need to up to date on things as a infrastructure architect, I need to be on top of whats what.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Probably spend about £500 a year I should think. I'm not in infrastructure so it's basically a new laptop & desktop every 3 years or so and the occaisional monitor/printer/HDD as stuff fails.

Comment

Don't spend a fixed amount. I buy things as required.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In November 2007, 6 months after starting contracting, I bought 2 laptops, 1 small and mobile and 1 large and a replacement desktop really.

Since then I have bought nothing tech, until recently when I replaced my printer which I had had for 8 years.

Am looking at a NAS, poss new desktop, dual monitor etc.., as the one I have is mine rather than Ltd.

I have bought books about tech, recently to learn c#, tried iphone dev but couldn't get into it.

Will prob get Visual Studio 2010 Professional (expensive @ £800-£1000), am using the Express version to learn at the mo.

I certainly don't have a regular tech budget, I get what I need when I need it.
        Last edited by Scrag Meister; 30 November 2010, 08:31.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I bought VS2010 Pro this year (£280), but that's all. I bought a desktop in 07, and a laptop in 08, both of which I still use and upgraded the hard disks in the desktop last year as well as buying both Windows 7. So it's probably averaged about £500 per year.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I bought VS2010 Pro this year (£280), but that's all. I bought a desktop in 07, and a laptop in 08, both of which I still use and upgraded the hard disks in the desktop last year as well as buying both Windows 7. So it's probably averaged about £500 per year.
            Where did you get VS 2010 Pro for £280? The ones I have seen at this price are upgrades.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 30 November 2010, 10:31.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Why do you want to buy Visual Studio Professional anyways? I work with Eclipse and it does the job. Also use Resharper (Free or £150 depending on how you use it) and you pretty much get everything you need.
              Why waste money on a MS product that sucks out performance from your machine. If at all I need to use, I then go on and use VS Express edition.
              If you are still not convinced, and want to go for Visual Studio, register for the beta releases, and you can get a full version for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Where did you get VS 2010 Pro for £280? The ones I have seen at this price are upgrades.
                It was an upgrade. That's the special offer upgrade from Standard (I bought VS2005 Standard about 5 years ago).

I think MS are shooting themselves in the foot making their developer tools so expensive (and you can't even buy Standard anymore). I needed to buy it as (unfortunately) I still need to do stuff with MFC, which is only in Pro. Otherwise I've been using the free Express version for C++ quite effectively.

As a professional Windows developer investing in the tools that the clients are almost certainly going to be using makes sense. Not having Visual Studio is like a window cleaner making do without a bucket to save money.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  So is a new laptop or PC each year OTT? I could make a good business case, as I need to up to date on things as a infrastructure architect, I need to be on top of whats what.
                  If you have a liking for shiny gadgets and all the latest kit for business use then you are free to get your business to pay for it and claim it back against company profits.

Don't fall into the trap of spending company money on stuff because it's "not costing you anything" because it is ultimately your money you are spending at the end of the day.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I just bought a whole new system in parts, cost about £800.

I pay for monthly web hosting, hosted exchange email, and a VPS server.

I also have a virtual assistant (about £100/month) and a couple of monthly subscriptions to some online marketing/social media services (onlywire). I have affiliate websites that I put through the LTD and get the VA to work on them while I'm contracting

Thinking about getting the MS partner MSDN type thing for about £300/year for all the latest software to evaluate and mess around with.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X