• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upgrade/Purchase personal laptop on business account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just become aware of a potential problem with this issue of selling personal assets, such as a laptop, to a company.

This page: HM Revenue & Customs: Capital allowances and Corporation Tax , lists some exclusions, including:

"plant and machinery previously used for another purpose - for example a computer used at home and introduced into your company or organisation"

This suggests to me that you would need to add the value of the item back on to your profit in order to calculate corporation tax due. However, a writing down allowance of 20% might be available on it? Either way it might still be the right decision to sell such items to your company - but I can't see it being quite as clear-cut as I thought.

Perhaps one other way would be to classify the purchase as expenditure rather than an asset purchase. For small amounts (I've heard £500 presented as a reasonable amount, but there doesn't seem to be any clear rule) this would avoid the issue altogether.

Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
      I've just become aware of a potential problem with this issue of selling personal assets, such as a laptop, to a company.

This page: HM Revenue & Customs: Capital allowances and Corporation Tax , lists some exclusions, including:

"plant and machinery previously used for another purpose - for example a computer used at home and introduced into your company or organisation"

This suggests to me that you would need to add the value of the item back on to your profit in order to calculate corporation tax due. However, a writing down allowance of 20% might be available on it? Either way it might still be the right decision to sell such items to your company - but I can't see it being quite as clear-cut as I thought.

Perhaps one other way would be to classify the purchase as expenditure rather than an asset purchase. For small amounts (I've heard £500 presented as a reasonable amount, but there doesn't seem to be any clear rule) this would avoid the issue altogether.

Any advice?
      The link above does indicate that you can't claim the annual investment allowance of 100% on such items, but you're correct that you could still claim the 20%.

For items costing under c£500 I would always classify them as expenditure rather than capital - an item costing that much is unlikley to be worth anything in a years time as technology is obsolete so quickly these days.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
      X