• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Upgrade/Purchase personal laptop on business account?"

Collapse

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by matzie View Post
    I've just become aware of a potential problem with this issue of selling personal assets, such as a laptop, to a company.

This page: HM Revenue & Customs: Capital allowances and Corporation Tax , lists some exclusions, including:

"plant and machinery previously used for another purpose - for example a computer used at home and introduced into your company or organisation"

This suggests to me that you would need to add the value of the item back on to your profit in order to calculate corporation tax due. However, a writing down allowance of 20% might be available on it? Either way it might still be the right decision to sell such items to your company - but I can't see it being quite as clear-cut as I thought.

Perhaps one other way would be to classify the purchase as expenditure rather than an asset purchase. For small amounts (I've heard £500 presented as a reasonable amount, but there doesn't seem to be any clear rule) this would avoid the issue altogether.

Any advice?
    The link above does indicate that you can't claim the annual investment allowance of 100% on such items, but you're correct that you could still claim the 20%.

For items costing under c£500 I would always classify them as expenditure rather than capital - an item costing that much is unlikley to be worth anything in a years time as technology is obsolete so quickly these days.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    I've just become aware of a potential problem with this issue of selling personal assets, such as a laptop, to a company.

This page: HM Revenue & Customs: Capital allowances and Corporation Tax , lists some exclusions, including:

"plant and machinery previously used for another purpose - for example a computer used at home and introduced into your company or organisation"

This suggests to me that you would need to add the value of the item back on to your profit in order to calculate corporation tax due. However, a writing down allowance of 20% might be available on it? Either way it might still be the right decision to sell such items to your company - but I can't see it being quite as clear-cut as I thought.

Perhaps one other way would be to classify the purchase as expenditure rather than an asset purchase. For small amounts (I've heard £500 presented as a reasonable amount, but there doesn't seem to be any clear rule) this would avoid the issue altogether.

Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    I am going to buy a new laptop for my Ltd Co, so can I actually sell the current laptop from myself for say half price, or a fair price, and then after few months can I buy a new one? I read somewhere that the cost of asset in case of laptops is limited to few years. So I was thinking of selling the original laptop to someone after that few months. The entire transaction would be like follows.

1) Ltd co buys the original laptop from me. The market value of the laptop currently is £350, so can sell it for £199.
    2) Due to depreciation, the cost of laptop would be nearly £0 in next 6 months. The laptop is already about 3 yrs old.
    If your laptop is that old then it looks like you are doing a scram.

Why would a company buy a piece of kit for it's only employee to dump 6 months later?

I suggest you find a sold price of the same laptop with the spec information, and take a print out of it for your records. Then charge the company that price.

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    3) I will buy a new laptop, brand new from a retailer.
    4) I can use the old laptop as a part exchange, or sell it on ebay to raise some cash for my ltd co. I am thinking of selling that to my wife? Or may be if the asset value is £0, just gift it to someone?
    As the laptop is new to your company I would sell it on ebay then buy a new one.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 29 November 2010, 17:33.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    How long ago did you buy the laptop? If its less than six months old, you can sell it to your company at what it cost you new. Older than that, for a fair market price.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    I am going to buy a new laptop for my Ltd Co, so can I actually sell the current laptop from myself for say half price, or a fair price, and then after few months can I buy a new one? I read somewhere that the cost of asset in case of laptops is limited to few years. So I was thinking of selling the original laptop to someone after that few months. The entire transaction would be like follows.

1) Ltd co buys the original laptop from me. The market value of the laptop currently is £350, so can sell it for £199.
    2) Due to depreciation, the cost of laptop would be nearly £0 in next 6 months. The laptop is already about 3 yrs old.
    3) I will buy a new laptop, brand new from a retailer.
    4) I can use the old laptop as a part exchange, or sell it on ebay to raise some cash for my ltd co. I am thinking of selling that to my wife? Or may be if the asset value is £0, just gift it to someone?

Is this possible at all?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Perhaps the £450 Yourco is about to spend on an old outdated laptop could be better spent on a new one? Just a thought.

If you're working full time on the laptop, there really shouldn't be any question of it not being for business use.

Leave a comment:

• nfoote
    replied
    Sweet!

Quick look at eBay, somewhere in the 250-350 range maybe, not huge but always nice to put one up against the taxman Plus the new battery/charger are about another 100quid on the expense sheet.

Cheers guys.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I think that the only catch is that a second hand laptop may not be worth very much, but so long as it's a reasonable price then you're OK.
    Yes I doubt the value is much at all. But you can definitely do it.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    there's nothing wrong with selling the laptop to the company as long as you sell it for fair market value. I also agree with looking at Ebay to see what a similar laptop would sell for.
    I think that the only catch is that a second hand laptop may not be worth very much, but so long as it's a reasonable price then you're OK.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I agree with matzie - there's nothing wrong with selling the laptop to the company as long as you sell it for fair market value. I also agree with looking at Ebay to see what a similar laptop would sell for.

The company can then also buy the new parts.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Re your fanciful brainwave - I don't think there's anything fanciful about it at all. If you bought it from somebody else - for a fair price, for business use, as a commercial transaction, it'd be fine, and would be a straightforward asset purchase (ie would show on your balance sheet, would be part of your annual investment allowance etc). Buying it from yourself is equally straightforward and quite common. My advice though is to just be really careful that the price you sell it to your company for is fair - I've taken the lowest price I could find for the equivalent on ebay for my transactions of this type. My accountant concurs with this advice, but you should check with yours of course

HTH

Matt

Leave a comment:

• nfoote
    started a topic Upgrade/Purchase personal laptop on business account?

Upgrade/Purchase personal laptop on business account?

So I have a laptop that I'd obviously bought with my personal money long before I started MyCo.

It now gets used for both personal and business work, my current contract is even work from home so full 8(ish) hours a day is being used to generate funds for MyCo.

It also now needs a new battery and charge circa 100quid.

Question 1; Can I purchase the replacement parts for my personal laptop under the company accounts and claim the associated tax benefits?

Question 2 / Fanciful brainwave 1; Given that the machine is being used currently for so much business work, and even when its not used directly as a coding machine for a contract its still used to source new contracts, email agents etc etc, can MyCo just "purchase" the laptop from me? IE transfer a fair market price from MyCo account to my personal account and put it down as a business purchase, claiming the associated tax benefits. And then of course purchase a new battery etc for the business' new laptop. Ha it sounds pretty delusional even just writing it down but thought I'd ask

Working...
X