• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer's questions about dividend/salary allocation,and compnay incorporation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matzie View Post
    I didn't know about different share classes, and potentially voting different dividends amounts to them in this way, but since reading this I've been looking into it with a view to changing my current 50/50 share arrangement with my spouse to benefit from it.

BUT - I Just came across this page: Dividend waiver - when Settlements legislation may apply and especially the example at the bottom.

Mrs I owns A shares and Mr I owns B shares. Both A and B shares rank equally. Again profits of £25,000 are made and a dividend of £20,000 is voted on the B shares while no dividend is voted on the A shares.

Clearly by not voting dividends on the A shares (which rank equally with the B shares) this is a bounteous arrangement as the dividend paid on the B shares could only be paid if no dividend was declared in respect of the A shares. £16,000 of the dividend paid to Mr I is attributed to Mrs I under section 624 because the decision only to vote dividends on certain shares was a bounteous arrangement.

Now I'm not really sure about the ranking of shares side, but on the face of it this seems to suggest that using different share classes in this way is not a safe arrangement.
    That specific example refers more to the fact that there were only profits of £25,000 and therefore it wasn't possible to pay the same value of dividend on each share class - the holder of the A shares has effectively given something up (waived their dividend) so that the holder of the B shares could take a divi of that amount.

If you have profits available of £50,000 and paid £25,000 to A and £15,000 to B then no one has given anything up in that way - so no bounty.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. So perhaps it would still make sense to reclassify our existing shares. I'll discuss with my accountant. Thanks.

Comment

I'm just about to incorporate my company and allocate shares....

So from that I gather I can allocate 1 share to myself and 1 share to my wife. We can then vote on what dividend to pay to us both as shareholders. The dividend will be a percentage of the companies earnings but not all of the earnings - correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdgardner View Post
          So from that I gather I can allocate 1 share to myself and 1 share to my wife. We can then vote on what dividend to pay to us both as shareholders. The dividend will be a percentage of the companies earnings but not all of the earnings - correct ?
          Wow.. Talk to an accountant.. Quickly....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            At least he searched first.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgardner View Post
              The dividend will be a percentage of the companies earnings but not all of the earnings - correct ?
              Technically, yes - it has to be a percentage of something. You certainly can't pay it out of nothing.

Your accountant should be able to explain it to you in a way that you understand.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well, he's right...it will be a percentage of his earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Well, he's right...it will be a percentage of his earnings.
                  Thanks - I get the picture now. Of course I'll seek out an accountant.

Comment

From my understanding you take dividends from your profit, which is your earnings less the expenses. Expenses include travelling, salaries, accountants fees, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
                      From my understanding you take dividends from your profit, which is your earnings less the expenses. Expenses include travelling, salaries, accountants fees, etc.
                      And tax liability, which is probably the biggest.

Comment

Working...
                      X