• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank travel vetting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank travel vetting

I am being put forward for a contract at a UK bank, and the agent says the bank will want to do a check to cover a 4-month period earlier this year when I was away travelling (US and Canada), in additional to the expected CRB and credit checks. Does anyone know what form this check will take? I am slightly concerned because I no longer have my plane ticket or accommodation/hotel receipts for the period. Thanks.

They just want to check that you have good credit and that you haven't been anywhere that might open you to fraud. If you have not been working they will just ask you for your bank statements to prove that you have not been detained at her majesties pleasure or something like that. They won't want receipts or anything. They just want to know you are not in financial trouble that might indicate you would be willing to commit fraud once you get in. The travelling should be no problems as long as it isn't long stints in Nigeria or Afghanistan or something daft.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      I am being put forward for a contract at a UK bank, and the agent says the bank will want to do a check to cover a 4-month period earlier this year when I was away travelling (US and Canada), in additional to the expected CRB and credit checks. Does anyone know what form this check will take? I am slightly concerned because I no longer have my plane ticket or accommodation/hotel receipts for the period. Thanks.
      I had a similar problem after taking 9 months off to get a Plan B going. I knew the agent pretty well and he knew what I had been doing. When I went back to contracting, he said the client wanted proof of what i'd been doing since last contract including a statement from my accountant. I sent him a photo of me in a chef's hat :-) Eventually, after much arguing, I sent him an email stating that "In the last nine months I had mostly been searching for suitable contract vacancies" and told him if that wasn't enough, he could feel free to go and **** himself. It's not always a good idea to say exactly what you've been doing.

The CRB check and credit check isn't a big deal. As long as you have not appeared in court recently (for anything more serious than a traffic offence) and you are on the electoral role at your current address, you'll be fine. Most places are using the Scottish Disclosure for CRB and it costs £32 quid. It's generally the simple disclosure rather than the enhanced so only looks at recent history (last five years).

Nothing to worry about mate.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        I can't add anything to your specific problem, but can I recommend to everyone that they always keep records of their foreign travels. You'll never know when and how you will need them. They can be useful in many ways that may surprise you; I cannot say anymore about my case (it did not involve Hector).
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
        X