• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Contract but working in EU.......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Contract but working in EU.......

Hey folks,

I have recently moved back to IT Contracting from a 4 year permie position.
    I have the opportunity to do some short-mid term contract work very soon however I have a couple of questions I require some "help" with.

I will be working for a UK Client but will be required to travel to the EU a large portion of the time during the contract.
    Being new to this way of working, I was wondering if there are any rules/regulations I have to know before accepting the contract?
    By rules/regulations, I mean will I require an EU working visa or will I be subject to foreign tax regs or anything like that?

Just dont want to accept the contract and get my backside chewed by UK/Foreign Governments for one reason or another.

NB. I will be setting up with an MSC to handle my financial accounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve.

MSCs don't exist any more you have a choice of an umbrella using PAYE, or a Limited where you use an accountant.

If you have a UK, Irish or EU passport then you don't need any visas.

If you are based in the UK and the country you will be working in the majority of the time is the UK then that's where you pay tax.

If you go down the limited route you should have your contract checked out against IR35 do a search for it. There is an advanced search box at the top of the board.

You should also have it written into the contract how expenses are going to be paid for your travel. Again do a search for it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for your info
      That pretty much answers my questions.
      I have been looking into setting up my own limited company and getting the accounts looked after by a chartered accountant so that shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks again

Comment

As long as you aren't just a contractor working through an agency on a several month contract for a foreign co. no problem, i.e. they're not just an agency sending you to a foreign co. for a several month contract which could be done by a local working through a local agency, in which case it would be a grey area, with risk involved, increasing with the length of the contract, and not simply covered by the 183 day rule.

For example in Germany any contractor would be expected to pay tax from day 1 not day 183, and that would apply in most other countries, but of course if you live in a hotel and stay a short time it would be unlikely to be investigated.

However it seems from your description that this is a contract vie a UK client that simply involves travel to various locations, which is fine.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 October 2010, 09:19.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X