• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBA costs through the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBA costs through the company

OK guys, should be an easy one. I have been contracting through my limited for six years, so have a fair whack of cash built up in the company. An oportunity as come up for the missus to transfer with her work to new york, and the loose plan is for me to go over and do an MBA whilst over there.

Ignoring for a minute whether either emigrating with my missus or doing an MBA are worthwhile endeavours, what I want to know is whether I can put the couse fees through the company as a business expense. These thing are not cheap - think 40k GBP. Also I have to go over to NYU and inteview in a couple of weeks. What about flight/accomodation costs for this, can this be expensed?

Thanks for much for the usual esteemed wisdom.

As with any expense, only if it is incurred wholly and necessarily as part of your job, and I think you will struggle to convince a tax inspector that was the case.

Comment

I'd speak to your accountant if I were you. I took a Masters and paid it through my business. Admittedly it was a Masters in Information Security which is specific to my business...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Exactly, ratewhore, your case is a different kettle of fish. Pickle just wants to bang an expensive MBA through the books and I think he will struggle to swing that. As you say though, as it is a lot of money at stake he needs to ask a professional rather than a bunch of know-nothing nobodies like us.

Comment

close down the company and take your 75% taper releif in addition to using your tax free allowance, as you wont be working, as well as using her UK tax free allowance, as she wont be working.. U can use that to fund anything u like then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            As with any expense, only if it is incurred wholly and necessarily as part of your job.
            I thought "wholly and necessarily" was for employees?

Comment

Expat, you aren't seriously suggesting that as the director of a limited company you can claim anything you like as an expense are you?

Comment

I'm no expert, obviously, but what's to stop you forming the US equivalent of a Ltd Co, lending it the cost of your MBA, taking the MBA and then dissolving the US company. As far as Hector is concerned, an overseas investment failed to pay off.
                Uncle Hector might come after you, but if you don't earn enough to get caught in his radar, you might just get away with that as well. A quick call to a US tax expert (you'll almost certainly need one anyway) will confirm.
                Probably full of holes, so shoot away...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Expat, you aren't seriously suggesting that as the director of a limited company you can claim anything you like as an expense are you?
                  No indeed, may the thought perish! But AIUI the test is less stringent for a company than for an employee. For example, it must be wholly for the business (or it is not wholly allowable) but it is, within reason, not necessary to justify the Company's decision as to whether it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    No indeed, may the thought perish! But AIUI the test is less stringent for a company than for an employee. For example, it must be wholly for the business (or it is not wholly allowable) but it is, within reason, not necessary to justify the Company's decision as to whether it is necessary.
                    Actually so long as you still pay corporation tax on it as though it was profit (i.e. not using it as an expense only as a non-allowable purchase) you can spend it on what the hell you like.

Given that CT is only 19% (and if its sat in the bank from previous years you probably have already paid it) You can just use it. Obviously the LTD needs to enter into the contract with the uni, you can't let it touch your account or fingers for even a second.

May have to be careful about benefit in kind, but you'll be domiciled and resident in NY then so its their laws not ours you need to concern yourself with

Comment

Working...
                    X