• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrellas

Did you know that there are currently two government units (one covering the north, the other the south) who are currently scrutinising the umbrella companies and how they operate?

I spoke to one of the main bods in the south district today, and apparently they want us all to go down the employed by employment business route - much like what exists with high street temp agencies.

It seems they are very, very unhappy with the current set up and don't agree that umbrella companies are bona fide - even safe brollies are under scrutint apparently not just the ones dealing with offshore dodgy FX schemes and so on.

Then he went on to tell me that they were currently undertaking a risk assessment about this matter.

Without going into detail, I deduced from that last statement that they are weighing up the pros and cons of keeping the status quo or changing it provided they don't end up losing tax revenues. Ethics clearly don't come into it if risk assessement lies at the heart of their efforts.

The funniest thing is this: I explained to them what the relationship was between IT employment businesses and umbrellas and he appeared not to know that IT contractors could not be self employed (self assessed) if they wanted to be. In fact, he appeared not to know very much at all about the way employment businesses in the IT field actually operate. To say he was pretty clueless about the way the current tax set up is for contractors was an understatement.

Originally posted by Denny
    In fact, he appeared not to know very much at all about the way employment businesses in the IT field actually operate. To say he was pretty clueless about the way the current tax set up is for contractors was an understatement.

I should think you two got on like a house on fire
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      I should think you two got on like a house on fire

You're sharp today, Dodgy. Winding down for your holidays?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
        Did you know that there are currently two government units (one covering the north, the other the south) who are currently scrutinising the umbrella companies and how they operate?

The funniest thing is this: I explained to them what the relationship was between IT employment businesses and umbrellas and he appeared not to know that IT contractors could not be self employed (self assessed) if they wanted to be. In fact, he appeared not to know very much at all about the way employment businesses in the IT field actually operate. To say he was pretty clueless about the way the current tax set up is for contractors was an understatement.
        I know all umbrellas are being scrutinised but doubt very much the honest ones will be effected as they ensure correct tax is paid and I can't see that being put at risk. I guess they have to investigate as many as possible to get a true picture. I'm sure that all the dodgy umbrellas will be at severe risk - I think many people clients, agents, and contractors will probably have grassed on them for one reason or another as we hear so many disgruntled contractors on this board on that issue.

It doesn't surprise me that this guy knew very little - a lot of decisions are made by people in power without any knowledge of what they are legislating for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box

You're sharp today, Dodgy.
          Like a bowling ball Lucifer
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
            Like a bowling ball Lucifer
            A man after my own heart!

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
              I know all umbrellas are being scrutinised but doubt very much the honest ones will be effected as they ensure correct tax is paid and I can't see that being put at risk. I guess they have to investigate as many as possible to get a true picture. I'm sure that all the dodgy umbrellas will be at severe risk - I think many people clients, agents, and contractors will probably have grassed on them for one reason or another as we hear so many disgruntled contractors on this board on that issue.

It doesn't surprise me that this guy knew very little - a lot of decisions are made by people in power without any knowledge of what they are legislating for.
              This man was a senior bod involved in the unit itself, not a customer service type wheel cog paid to take calls from IT professionals and other related service providers.

The whole ethos of umbrella company use is what they are reconsidering, not just whether some are operating properly or not.

Comment

The missing word is composite.... Article in Accountancy Age today... comments from the HMRC apparently...GMB whinging about them too!

Comment

{I-told-you-so helmie}
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by freshblue
                    The missing word is composite.... Article in Accountancy Age today... comments from the HMRC apparently...GMB whinging about them too!
                    At first he told me he meant composite too. However, I asked him about other brollies and he said that he had missused the word composite to embrace all other brollies as well.

I did do my homework you know!!

Comment

Working...
                    X