• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses you are claiming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses you are claiming

Rather new to this (2 weeks in). I have an initial 2.5 month contract in the City (outside IR35). Commute @ £7/day (on my Oyster card). Have just realised that I can claim this as a business expense (I think this is right), because it's a temporary workplace. What documentation should I keep, or can I simply allocate £7/day and get my company to pay me that as a reimbursed expense (because the amounts are so small they would not want a receipt)?

So what else am I missing? How creative do you people get? On £100k of turnover, how much are you putting through as expenses?

So far I have:

Computer/networking equipment purchases.
    Internet access for home
    Second phone line rental
    Mobile phone line rental for business phone (XDA on data tarriff)

How about 'entertaining'? As I understand it this is not allowable for corporation tax purposes, but it might save money because it reduces the amount paid to me as a dividend. So rather than receiving £50k dividend, around £18k of which is subject to higher rate tax, the company spends £250 on entertainment, and gives me £49,750, so I save paying higher rate tax on that £250 (which I would have spent instead myself).

As these more contentious items do not have tax relief for corporation tax, it seems that it's only useful to reduce my higher rate tax burden.

I can see that for many PSCs entertainment in reality is not a real business expense, because they don't really build relationships, but just apply for jobs via employment businesses. So obviously I don't want to take the piss, and put through every meal out with the wife (who is company secretary).

But at the same time if there's something that can be legitimately used to reduce tax (e.g., I understand that there's £150 for staff parties which can be spent without attracting a taxable benefit in kind), then I would like to do so.

So all suggestions on what you deduct and not have considered a benefit in kind would be welcome.

Hi,

from looking at your questions I think that most of them have been answered before. If you use the search you should find what your looking for and it saves malvolio typing out his usual blurb (no offence )

Comment

Oi! - you're spoiling all my fun.

Dude69 - the idea is to be a professional running a business. If you just want to scam everything going, (a) don't and (b) don't ask damfool questions. As for expenses, get a company debit card and use that for business expenditure - and keep all the recipts.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Oyster

Proof of purchase is usually fine.... copy statement sent to my brolly is accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69
          I can see that for many PSCs entertainment in reality is not a real business expense, because they don't really build relationships, but just apply for jobs via employment businesses.
          I would disagree with this, although I also run direct contracts and partner with vendors so this may make a difference. I regularly meet clients/suppliers etc and claim the expense of the 'entertainment'. This could be a curry, a few beers, a night in a cocktail bar or even a bottle of champagne in a lap-dancing club. This is all 'relationship-building'.

All goes through the books...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            I would disagree with this, although I also run direct contracts and partner with vendors so this may make a difference. I regularly meet clients/suppliers etc and claim the expense of the 'entertainment'. This could be a curry, a few beers, a night in a cocktail bar or even a bottle of champagne in a lap-dancing club. This is all 'relationship-building'.

All goes through the books...

I think you might find the one in orange above is usually counted as a disallowable expense since it can be seen to be non-inclusive of all genders and sexual orientations!

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
              I think you might find the one in orange above is usually counted as a disallowable expense since it can be seen to be non-inclusive of all genders and sexual orientations!
              Never been in one myself but don't you get quite a few women in there these days?

Comment

I would not travel by using any kind of ticket that embraces a 7 day a week all-in price. Otherwise the IR could view it as a private use ticket too. It's virtually impossible to justify a pro-rate public travel rates based on the ticket price overall because the travel flexibility ensures that you could done anything and gone anywhere that day not just attended work.

Always keep your travel expenses separate from your private use travel expenses then you can unequivocally prove that you can make a full claim with tickets to prove it.

The IR don't take kindly to tariffs on mobile phones either for claiming phone calls because inclusion minutes could also be used for private calls and technically speaking you're not paying for the individual calls anyway you're only paying for the privilege of not paying for them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                  I would not travel by using any kind of ticket that embraces a 7 day a week all-in price. Otherwise the IR could view it as a private use ticket too. It's virtually impossible to justify a pro-rate public travel rates based on the ticket price overall because the travel flexibility ensures that you could done anything and gone anywhere that day not just attended work.

Always keep your travel expenses separate from your private use travel expenses then you can unequivocally prove that you can make a full claim with tickets to prove it.

The IR don't take kindly to tariffs on mobile phones either for claiming phone calls because inclusion minutes could also be used for private calls and technically speaking you're not paying for the individual calls anyway you're only paying for the privilege of not paying for them!!!
                  Agree in principle - although if your seven day ticket is for London and you can prove that you live in Newcastle and come down Monday and go home Friday it won't be an issue.

The best way to get round Mobile tariffs is to switch to a business tariff instead of claimimg back a personal line.

Comment

surely if a 7 day train ticket is cheaper than 5 x 1 day then they can't complain about that? It's in your companies interests to go for the cheaper option.

Comment

Working...
                    X