• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No P45 or P60. Help Please!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No P45 or P60. Help Please!!

Hi

My husband was running an IT Services company at a small level. I was working in that company on and off for about 2 years, based on the necessity. Although the company had few clients, we didn't make much profits and hence I didn't take any salary. So, I don't have a P45 or P60 or even a payslip.

Now that I am looking for a job and have almost ended up with an offer. My new employer asked about my previous job history for which I told that I was contracting with the above company. They were happy with my interview performance and knowledge, but I am worried what they'll say about me not having P45. Is there any way out? I would hate to miss out on the opportunity after coming so close.

In short, I was not faking my experience. It was very much real. But when I got the call from the new company, I thought it won't be credibe if I say I was working for my husband's company and said that I was contracting there.

Thanks for your help.

Frank is a strange name for a wife...

Anyway - IMO there's no problem in not having a P45. It just means they can't calculate your tax code, and will put you on emergency tax.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you don't have a P45 your new employer will ask you to complete a P46. Until your new tax code is received they will probably use a 647 week 1 or month 1 code which gives you the standard tax free allowance but is non-cummulative which means that if you don't work for a couple of weeks you won't get the benefit of two weeks accumulated tax free pay. Nothing to worry about honest
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FrankLabak View Post
        I was not faking my experience. It was very much real. But when I got the call from the new company, I thought it won't be credibe if I say I was working for my husband's company and said that I was contracting there.
        Ahh, as LisaContractorUmbrella says just say you don't have a P45, they will get you to do a P46 and away you go.

If they press you to know why you never got paid then tell them it was a "family business".

Good luck!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

It is not there business to ask how you were remunerated and why you don't have a P45 but if they put you on the spot, it's possible that you could have earned dividend income and therefore no P45.

Why don't you call your local tax office and ask them to issue you a tax code, that way you won't have to be started off on a week 1/ month 1 basis...

Good luck, I hope you get the job

Comment

Working...
          X