• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Offer - Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Offer - Notice

hi, I was offered a contract last week verbally and also via email. The agency is now putting together contract paperwork and the person I am dealing with is on holiday for a week. No real rush as the contract starts when my current one finishes in 4 weeks.

My question: Should I let my manager know now that I am not renewing (will take time for them to find a replacement + knowledge transfer)? Is the email confirmation sufficient when the agent says "take this as an official offer"?

Thanks

I wouldn't say a word until the ink is dry on my new contract. So many chances for it still to fall through yet I wouldn't gamble anything.

Have you actually been offered a renewal by the client? To tell him you won't be taking a renewal when one hasn't been offered isn't good form. Until there is a hint or an offer of a renewal you are still working to standard contract times so not obliged to tell him anything. Contract ends when it ends and you both know when that is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is the email confirmation sufficient when the agent says "take this as an official offer"?
      In general, not, but would depend to a large extent upon the email contents..Does it clearly state all the critical parameters of a contract-rate, start date etc? what if the contract T&Cs (which, I suppose, you haven't seen until now) are too harsh to be acceptable? have you sent them your acceptance of the "offer"?

Should I let my manager know now that I am not renewing (will take time for them to find a replacement + knowledge transfer)?
      I would suggest to wait until you get a little more insight on your new "offer", primarily the paperwork..It's wasy for things to go wrong..

Comment

The email was extremely formal titled "Offer Confirmation" and then all contract details under that. I chased the agent so will sign contracts tomorrow and just delay this process by a day - much less risk. Thanks all.

Comment

Until the new one starts, there's no guarantee that it will start.

Taking that risk is what being in business is about.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was asked to renew by my then current client literally a day or two before a previous client I worked for contacted me and asked me to go back and work on a new project.

I was upfront with the current client and told them I wouldnt be renewing.

Everything worked out fine. Left the old client on good terms and re joined the former client.

It depends how confident you are with the 'new' role. Personally, I dont like being pissed about and try not to piss others about. So, I'd tell your current client you have another offer which you intend to take and mention you thought they'd like to know upfront you wouldnt be taking a renewal, if offered. I'd chuck in this gives them time to find someone to replace you if the role is ongoing.

I dont see any problem telling the client you wont be extending even if they havent offered an extension. It comes down to how you tell them.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

An email offer is just that - an offer - especially if it says the contract paperwork is pending. Therefore, there is no contract in place until both parties have signed the paperwork. Until then, its just an intent to enter into a contract and it only becomes relevant if one party pulls out at the detriment of the other. But thats a whole other issue.

I agree with the advice here in that you should wait until the contract is signed. In fact, its smart to try to force the issue by stating you'd like the contract paperwork signed off by XX date which may be 2 weeks before the start date so that you can inform your current client. Until then, the agency should expect that your current client may wish to renew you so its in their best interests to expedite things.

Comment

Working...
              X