• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

help with contract please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with contract please

i have just been given notice , that my contract is over due to the project getting mothballed

in my contract it states that the duration is "approx 3 months" this turned out to be 6 months to date

in my contract it states "if either party wishes to terminate this contract before completion of the entire scope of work, such an application must be confirmed in writing and must allow a minimum 30 day de-mobilisation period"

they have said i will only get paid for 1 week notice that i have to work

can anybody advise me on this ?

thanks in advance

Originally posted by bigjimfin View Post
    i have just been given notice , that my contract is over due to the project getting mothballed

in my contract it states that the duration is "approx 3 months" this turned out to be 6 months to date

in my contract it states "if either party wishes to terminate this contract before completion of the entire scope of work, such an application must be confirmed in writing and must allow a minimum 30 day de-mobilisation period"

they have said i will only get paid for 1 week notice that i have to work

can anybody advise me on this ?

thanks in advance
    Hard to say, you've not indicated if you are operating as a ltd co business, or a temp employee on PAYE.

However, the 3 month period has passed, and if the 1 month clause related to that period, then yes 1 week sounds ok.

Why not speak to the client and try find a compromise you are both happy with?

Cheers, richy

Comment

Read all your contract thoroughly.

They is likely to be additional clauses which allow them to either terminate you if there is no work or give you no work during the contract period.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

they are oly obliged to pay you when there is work to do. no work no pay regardless of notice period. If you get funny they will jusy give you 30 days notice and tell you there is no work and send you home for 30 days. same thing.

You got an extension so be happy and off you toddle on to pastures new.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Too bad that it didn't work out but you got more than your initial 3 months so overall you are on a winner. We can't be expecting too much sympathy in our line of business.

Have a one to one with the client and politely ask them if they would like you to work out the 30 days as per the contract. If they are adamant that you are going then do exactly what Lightship said below:

Originally posted by Lightship
          Work the week. Take the money. Smile. Be gracious. Thank everyone there. Move on to the next contract.
          Who knows, you may end up back there some time in the future. Good luck.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X