• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency wants lots of information about my offshore company.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency wants lots of information about my offshore company.

My offshore company is signing a contract with a UK agency for a contract that will be taking place in Scandinavia. Now, besides the contract they have given me a questionnaire about things like: The names of tax advisors I am using , names of my accountants , board of directors of the company , where and from whom I bought the company , bank account location and when it was setup, owner of the account etc , etc.

I will not be a UK resident for this year and maybe upcoming years either .

Am I required by some law to provide that much detail ?

Originally posted by supergal View Post
    My offshore company is signing a contract with a UK agency for a contract that will be taking place in Scandinavia. Now, besides the contract they have given me a questionnaire about things like: The names of tax advisors I am using , names of my accountants , board of directors of the company , where and from whom I bought the company , bank account location and when it was setup, owner of the account etc , etc.

I will not be a UK resident for this year and maybe upcoming years either .

It is up to the UK agency the terms on which they want to do business. If they don't want to do business without the provision of the information then they won't. All you can do is negotiate with them.

Of course they are also trying to protect themselves from any possible difficulties they may have from this transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by supergal View Post
      By law? no but then they are not required by law to hire your ltd if you do not accept their demands

Generally UK agency’s will not accept offshore company’s full stop due to threats of audits from hell from hector, been like that since about 1999

Comment

The agency will be worried about the Scandanavians. Whereas offshore companies might exploit "loopholes" in the UK, I can't think of any case where they were used in other European countries other than for tax evasion. Beware!! most tax authorities or law courts in other countries won't indulge in long court cases, they'll just send the cops round, and take advice from an accountant where you'll be working. You need to take any foreign tax authority as seriously as you take the HMRC, as soon as you set foot in a country, whereever that is you may be liable for tax/VAT, and I would take it seriously especially if you're there longer than 6 months.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 May 2010, 15:56.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X