• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant asking for receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant asking for receipts

I'm with an accountant frequently recommended on these pages & am currently in the process of having my accounts done.
    They are telling me they have to see all my receipts. This isn't something I've ever been requested to produce before & frankly can't see that it's any of their business. I won't mention the name of said accoutants (yet) but they sometimes seem to be behaving more like an umbrella than an accountant.

They may just be checking as a form of due diligence. Have you provided spreadsheets to detail everything?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Yes, I have but they still want to see them

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        So show them, what's to hide? Don't worry about the Spearmint Rhino receipts too much.

Comment

I'm not sure why they would want to see absolutely everything - I can understand wanting to double check anything large or unusual such as new assets, training fees, subscriptions etc but not so much a £1.99 receipt for postage.

Have you asked why they need to see everything? Are they just being careful because you're a new client?
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

frankly can't see that it's any of their business.
            Are you having a laugh?

Comment

Chuck them all in a massive envelope, send it to them with no stamp and ask for them to be sent back recorded (Oops, I didn't say that!)

Seriously, unless they are doing an audit, or they suspect something dodgy, just ask them for a reasonable explanation why they need every single receipt. As previous posters have mentions, I doubt they would be interested in postage receipts. Spearmint, I'm not so sure!

Comment

At the end of the day, if they're sticking their name on the accounts, they're entitled to see proof of what they're compiling. I can't see why you wouldn't want to show your receipts to an accountant, you'd be best doing them yourself if that's how you feel.

Comment

Well I'll be getting my money's worth because it'll be them reconciling every single bus ticket from the last year with what I put on the spreadsheet. Making a rod for their own backs IMO.

Comment

When you claim an expense you are required to keep the receipt as proof for 6 years as required by HMRC. It may be that your accountants are being diligent; although if they are satisfied with the information that they have prepared the accounts from, then you are signing them off as the director and have liability for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X