• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountant asking for receipts"

Collapse

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I'm with an accountant frequently recommended on these pages & am currently in the process of having my accounts done.
    They are telling me they have to see all my receipts. This isn't something I've ever been requested to produce before & frankly can't see that it's any of their business. I won't mention the name of said accoutants (yet) but they sometimes seem to be behaving more like an umbrella than an accountant.
    Either you are up to no good and claimed more than what you are entitled to, or you are hiding something. Did you lose any receipts? Did you artificially inflated some claims? Have you been a naughty boy?
    Last edited by pmeswani; 19 May 2010, 06:24. Reason: corrected language.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I'm with an accountant frequently recommended on these pages & am currently in the process of having my accounts done.
    They are telling me they have to see all my receipts. This isn't something I've ever been requested to produce before & frankly can't see that it's any of their business. I won't mention the name of said accoutants (yet) but they sometimes seem to be behaving more like an umbrella than an accountant.
    While this may seem odd to you some accountants do provide this service for their customers. And some customers expect it.

Its the trainees who have to deal with them as they like making their trainees suffer.

I know a few people who are now fully qualified accountants who started out with jobs like this.

Leave a comment:

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    When you claim an expense you are required to keep the receipt as proof for 6 years as required by HMRC. It may be that your accountants are being diligent; although if they are satisfied with the information that they have prepared the accounts from, then you are signing them off as the director and have liability for them.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Well I'll be getting my money's worth because it'll be them reconciling every single bus ticket from the last year with what I put on the spreadsheet. Making a rod for their own backs IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Vallah
    replied
    At the end of the day, if they're sticking their name on the accounts, they're entitled to see proof of what they're compiling. I can't see why you wouldn't want to show your receipts to an accountant, you'd be best doing them yourself if that's how you feel.

Leave a comment:

• Stag Cozier
    replied
    Chuck them all in a massive envelope, send it to them with no stamp and ask for them to be sent back recorded (Oops, I didn't say that!)

Seriously, unless they are doing an audit, or they suspect something dodgy, just ask them for a reasonable explanation why they need every single receipt. As previous posters have mentions, I doubt they would be interested in postage receipts. Spearmint, I'm not so sure!

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    frankly can't see that it's any of their business.
    Are you having a laugh?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Yes, I have but they still want to see them
    I'm not sure why they would want to see absolutely everything - I can understand wanting to double check anything large or unusual such as new assets, training fees, subscriptions etc but not so much a £1.99 receipt for postage.

Have you asked why they need to see everything? Are they just being careful because you're a new client?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    So show them, what's to hide? Don't worry about the Spearmint Rhino receipts too much.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    They may just be checking as a form of due diligence. Have you provided spreadsheets to detail everything?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    started a topic Accountant asking for receipts

Accountant asking for receipts

Working...
X