• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think this is legitimate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if you are caught (highly unlikely but it does happen), you take out more through a LtdCo than you ever will through a brolly.

Have a read of this to see why: <snip>
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Anyway, like most of the schemes, it is legitimate, it just depends on your appetite for risk. The Montpelier BN66 case has obviously put a lot of people off, but there are still lots of people using various schemes. I suppose in time they may be challenegd, but then again, maybe not.
      Last edited by Vallah; 19 March 2010, 11:46.

Comment

Yes there is a risk, and it's a question of how much you want to take on board. The problem is, many of the people looking to join these schemes are not competent to do that risk assessment, and there is very little in the public domain - apart from assorted victims and evangelists - on which they can make that assessment. The schemes are mainly built around high net-worth individuals with decent levels of professional advice available to them.

There is also a very strong focus from HMRC on what they term "unacceptable avoidance", which is not you and me running a small LtdCo but the use of these schemes in general. With around £7bn at stake it is unlikely that focus will go away any time soon, no matter which wally ends up in No 10, and it is equally unlikely that HMRC will see joining one at this stage as a sound business decision.

Hence the best advice is probably to stay well clear and stick with what we know works. But hey, it's your money, house and marriage, not mine...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X