• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property Investment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Erm... They did ask specifics. They asked about investing in property through their limited companies. I believe the fact they asked this means they are already bought in to the idea of investing in property so didn't need to be told the benefits again
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Property

Pension schemes are an obvious rip-off. The carrot is that the money you put in is tax deductible, but if you're running your Ltd Co sensibly you only pay 20% corporation tax on your profit anyway. Companies that provide pension schemes don't do it free of charge, and they invest in things which don't always perform well, so you might start to feel that you'd have been better off paying the 20% tax when you see how your pension plan is performing.

Property was an obviously better alternative (whether it still is depends on what kind of crystal ball you use). You saved for a 15% deposit, borrowed 85%, and the rent from your tenants just about covered the mortgage payments. Say you bought a flat for £100K with a £15K deposit, ten years later (or less) it was worth £200K, so your £15K investment had grown to £200K minus the £85K mortgage = £115 in ten years. I think this probably outperforms the stock market. If you put money into a pension scheme, it's your own money, whereas if you go down the property route, in effect your tenants are paying your pension for you. Buy a few flats over several years and you've got a portfolio that's worth a lot more than any pension scheme that you are likely to accumulate.

The downside is that not everyone wants the hassle of managing rental properties, and the present time might not be the best time to buy property (I don't claim to know whether it is or not).

Back to your main issue, should you do it through your Ltd Co? The only advantage that can see is if you have a lot of money in your Ltd Co that you need to store somewhere, and you're using property as a place to store it.

Buying properties personally can be more tax advantageous e.g. if you are married and you buy properties jointly with your spouse, whenever you sell a property you've got two lots of capital gains tax allowance to use.

I am not an accountant, so best to discuss it with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by mossman View Post
        but if you're running your Ltd Co sensibly you only pay 20% corporation tax on your profit
        Erm..thought it was 21%

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
          Erm..thought it was 21%
          Yes OK I forgot it went up a couple of years ago.

Comment

22% soon.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
            X