• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term work in Switzerland from UK LTD Co - 3 Weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term work in Switzerland from UK LTD Co - 3 Weeks

I have my own limited company for couple of years and i am a british citizen - IT contractor in the UK. so far i have always had UK clients. I now have a Adhoc piece of IT consultancy work for about 2 to 3 weeks in switzerland. So here goes my questions

1) How to invoice my client in switzerland from my Ltd Company. i.e UK Pound + VAT, UK Pound No VAT, Swiss Franc with or without any VAT.
    2) Does this involve me informting myLTDcompany accountant of a overseas invoice, or this doesn't matter
    3) Which expenses (travel,stay,food,flights) can be claimed as business expenses through myltdco.
    4) Is it legel for me to go to switzerland for 2/3 weeks and work on client site or i have to work from UK only or do i need any visa or declare anything to swiss or UK authorities? (note: i am the only employee in myLTDco)
    5) I also have another contract running, but will be able to take 3 weeks off from my current one. (FYI Only)
    6) Anything else i should be aware of

Please Advice
    lullaby

New poster, hidden profile, poor English even if you ignore the spelling and gramma mistakes. ManCo Troll maybe

I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Lullaby is a member of www.englishforum.ch so possibly not a troll.

The best way to handle it is that your visits are business trips - as an EU citizen you're allowed a certain number of business trips without a visa, per year. You invoice the client in whatever currency they want, most likely CHF, without VAT.

Your accountant will need to know that your client is in Switzerland.

You should be fine claiming travel, food, hotel as business expenses, but it will be simpler if you can persuade your client to pay for these - perhaps they'll do this if you reduce your rate.

I am not an international tax accountant or lawyer...
      Last edited by NotAllThere; 12 March 2010, 14:07.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Swiss Employment law

Originally posted by lullaby View Post
        I

1) How to invoice my client in switzerland from my Ltd Company. i.e UK Pound + VAT, UK Pound No VAT, Swiss Franc with or without any VAT.

Please Advice
        lullaby
        I am surprised that your Swiss client will allow you to bill them direct as normally only a swiss company can bill another company for employment related services and if they do thats not your problem for 3 weeks

Comment

Working...
        X