• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Self Funded Pensions (SIPP)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Self Funded Pensions (SIPP)

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some self funded pension schemes to look at ? I've just setup my limited company and now want to sort out my pension scheme but thought there may be some around better suited to IT Contractors etc.

All feedback welcomed.

Cheers

These people sorted me out:

http://www.wealth-matters.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by mavster07 View Post
      Hi,

Can anyone recommend some self funded pension schemes to look at ? I've just setup my limited company and now want to sort out my pension scheme but thought there may be some around better suited to IT Contractors etc.

All feedback welcomed.

Cheers
      This has already been covered time and time again. Unless this site has changed whereby newbies are not able to search the site, I suggest searching the forum for the word SIPP. However, in the unlikely event that you can't work out how to do a search, have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown (www.h-l.co.uk). I have been with them for a couple of years and am happy with the service I get from them.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        This has already been covered time and time again. Unless this site has changed whereby newbies are not able to search the site, I suggest searching the forum for the word SIPP. However, in the unlikely event that you can't work out how to do a search, have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown (www.h-l.co.uk). I have been with them for a couple of years and am happy with the service I get from them.
        Me too.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Having searched the forum for similar, I'm going with H & L too.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Have a look at sippdeal as well www.sippdeal.co.uk

Comment

Using Alliance Trust Savings instead of Hargreaves Lansdowne could save you thousands of pounds.

Alliance Trust Savings are (as far as I know) the only SIPP provider who refund all initial and trail commission charged by the funds you might select. Trail commission has a much bigger impact on your returns than initial commission.

It's not that HL are expensive, it's just that small savings on big contributions compounded over many years can add up to a lot.

I was accused of being to vociferous on this subject on another thread. My guess is that the HL fans simply have not done the calculations to understand how much extra HL is going to cost them in the long run.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 10 March 2010, 14:24.

Comment

I've done some back-of-the envelope calculations, and based on me moving my current pension pot to HL or Alliance Trust (from Sippdeal) and investing the lot in either L&G UK index fund or L&G Property fund, being with HL would have cost me £37,000 extra or £52,000 extra, compared to Alliance trust, after 20 years.

For the purposes of this calculation I've only taken into account the differences in annual charges. Initial charges were the same (0%) in both cases, and I've ignored ancillary admin charges.

This whole exercise was done in a matter of minutes, so mistakes are possible. Please do your own calculations.

Somebody said to me that they didn't mind paying extra for the good service they get from HL. I don't know how much extra HL costs him, but unless HL undertook to regularly send Miss World round to my house to provide personal services, I don't think they could do enough to persuade me to pay the extra.

Perhaps I should reiterate that I have nothing against HL, who are probably a much better provider than most, I just want to emphasise that the difference between very good and best (in terms of costs) can be tens of thousands of pounds.
                Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 10 March 2010, 15:31. Reason: Corrected figures

Comment

Sorry, misread your post.
                  Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 10 March 2010, 16:24.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

What did you find was good and not good about what was setup for you ? Was it personalised service or done over the phone as I hear that many of these SIPP providers don't actually bother making the time to meet you in person and just do it all via email etc. Pretty impersonal and often mistakes get made and they don't really know their client. How did you find the process?

Comment

Working...
                    X