• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    On the contrary, nothing odd about it at all.

The whole tax system is geared around self-assessment, and HMRC are totally reliant on people declaring their income.

It's much more difficult to catch evaders than avoiders, hence the amnesties.

What is really odd is that the Government and HMRC should seek to blur the distinction between avoidance and evasion, when they know damn well that evasion is much harder to counter.
    What I meant is the "special treatment" being given to evaders, is that FAIR!

Comment

Originally posted by Alba View Post
      What I meant is the "special treatment" being given to evaders, is that FAIR!
      No it's totally unfair but they ain't got much choice. Evaders are very hard to catch so they have to bribe them to come forward. Either that or pay for stolen bank records.

Avoiders are easy to catch because schemes have to be registered in advance and everything is declared on tax returns.

It's almost like they are sending out a message that people would be better off evading than avoiding.

Comment

Donkey Punch

I'm not claiming I can take all of the credit for this but...

Last week I provided the Conservatives with the figures on NI growth vs. income tax since 2001/2 and exchanged several emails with Philip Hammond (Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury) urging them to run with the story.

Labour's promise in '97 not to put up income tax was a con trick, and eventually the public will realise they've been duped.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...tax-rises.html

I have been racking my brain for the past year as to how I could exact revenge on Timms & Co and this will do nicely.

Just watch the Conservative lead in the polls increase over the coming days.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 April 2010, 14:28.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-labour-tories

The Conservatives have now launched a poster campaign to go with new research showing that national insurance is Gordon Brown's favourite "stealth tax", with total national insurance receipts having risen five times faster than income tax receipts over the past decade. The Conservatives reckon average national insurance contributions per family have risen more than 12 times as much as average income tax receipts per family over the same period.

Courtesy of the Donkey.

PS.
          The raw data was courtesy of our "friends" at HMRC:
          http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-2.pdf
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 April 2010, 15:19. Reason: ps

Comment

Vote Donkey

Vote Donkey .... wear a white suit and stand against HMRC/government retro mania !!

Comment

Nice one Donkey! I wonder if in return for the tip you gave them they can also shine a light on retrospective taxation, and the HMRC's increasingly facist powers handed to them by Timm's and Co
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I hope backs were scratched in equal measure and your 'fair share' will be forthcoming.......
                - SL -

Comment

I'm not claiming I can take all of the credit for this but...

Last week I provided the Conservatives with the figures on NI growth vs. income tax since 2001/2 and exchanged several emails with Philip Hammond (Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury) urging them to run with the story.

Labour's promise in '97 not to put up income tax was a con trick, and eventually the public will realise they've been duped.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...tax-rises.html

I have been racking my brain for the past year as to how I could exact revenge on Timms & Co and this will do nicely.

Just watch the Conservative lead in the polls increase over the coming days.

That's brilliant, well done.

It's amazing - why can't people see this though? I can only assume it's simply because NI doesn't have the word "tax" glued on the end of it....

Comment

Why we need a Conservative Government

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    Nice one Donkey! I wonder if in return for the tip you gave them they can also shine a light on retrospective taxation, and the HMRC's increasingly facist powers handed to them by Timm's and Co
                    I can't see them doing anything about s58 without a direction from the courts. But it would be to our advantage if they got in.

1) They vociferously opposed the legislation. Cameron even wrote to the JCHR on behalf of several constituents. They would have to do a massive U-turn to say they now agree with retro in principle.

2) Although the Courts are meant to be independent of the legislature, it will be easier for them to rule against the legislation with a party in office who are on record as opposing it.

3) The Conservatives are more likely to accept the decision of a court and put a stop to it. If Labour get back in then they will let HMRC drag us through the courts for years. There is also the spectre of further retro.

I don't know whether it's worth us doing anything if the Conservatives get in (eg. getting our MPs to write to Timm's replacement - probably David Gauke, or even Osborne).

We probably should think about this.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-labour-tories

The Conservatives have now launched a poster campaign to go with new research showing that national insurance is Gordon Brown's favourite "stealth tax", with total national insurance receipts having risen five times faster than income tax receipts over the past decade. The Conservatives reckon average national insurance contributions per family have risen more than 12 times as much as average income tax receipts per family over the same period.

Courtesy of the Donkey.

PS.
                      The raw data was courtesy of our "friends" at HMRC:
                      http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-2.pdf
                      When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Working...
                      X